Various common A1181 logic board issues
Hi! I came across about a hundred 2.4GHZ A1181 boards. About half of them worked (hooray!) and I've either sold or built those out, but among the bad boards, there are several problems that seem to be common across several boards each, and I was wondering if anyone's had experience with them:
1. Board appears to be functional and starts to boot, but then shuts off within 5-15 seconds of powering on (heatsync is attached)
2. Board powers on and works fine, but does not restart once shut down, unless it has been allowed to sit without power for hours
3. Video displays, but is compressed to a small box in the middle of the screen (I've tried all the resets)
4. Solid amber light, no power (no battery connected)
5. Video shows quickly alternating black and then white screens, almost as if in place of the flashing question mark
6. Inverter light but no video, and no external video (I assume the video chip is fried)
7. No sound
Please keep in mind I'm testing with known-good components, so the answer is not going to be a bad DC-in, bad inverter cable, etc.
Anyway, thanks! If I could figure out any one of these, it would represent a whole pile of boards being fixed. Thanks in advance!
HI guys. I repaired a motherboard from a Hp laptop that would not boot up. I re-soldered the cpu. Removed the MB. Used a cut apart pop can with an opening the size of the cpu.I also used tinfoil to protect the MB. Then I used a mini blow torch to heat up the CPU and solder to a point I felt was long enough to melt the solder. This way I did not have to heat up the whole MB. I put it back together with a better silver heat transfer compound. It was worth a chance that it was the CPU as Hp have known cooling issues with this model. I was successful with this repair. I am not a computer guy but a welder by trade. Maybe this is something that would work for you too. Benny