1

nevadaman2002
25

Where is the thermostat on a 1997 Nissan truck 2.4L engine

My mechanic recently informed me that I needed to replace my thermostat. We briefly met under the hood of my truck and he assured me that the repair was similar to other thermostat replacements I had done (once) some twenty years past. I asked that he confirm the location of the T-stat, and he pointed out the most logical area at the engine block side of the upper radiator hose. Now empowered with knowledge and some self confidence, I tore into my truck only to find no T-stat at that location. After serveral hours on the net, I found a contradiction of results. 60% say on the upper hose and 40% say on the lower hose. The latter of the two requires a great deal more labor and disassembly of the cooling system, removal of drive belts and at the least the removal of the power steering pump to access the water outlet/thermostat housing. I hope you understand my hesitance in jumping back into the fix without some verification first.

Edited by: Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( ) , oldturkey03 ( ) , oldturkey03 ( )

Excellent job, who would have thought :-) now all you have to do is convert your comment to an answer and accept it. This way we know your case is closed. Great job in getting it done.

1

nevadaman2002
25

Thanks oldturkey03, I already have the manual and it does'nt specify the "UPPER" hose. Alas, after wrestling with the p/s pump to allow access to the bolts securing the lower water inlet, I removed the "BOTTOM" radiator hose & water inlet. It was there that I found my thermostat. Thanks again for your assistance. In case it help others to avoid the levels of research I so enjoyed, here are the particulars of my truck.

1997 4x2 XE KING CAB

134hp 2.4liter SOHC 4cyl

Engine Type: Ka24e

Hope this info comes in handy

4

Just checked the manual on the 1997 D21 engine. The thermostat is in the housing that the UPPER radiator hose connects to.

I have downloaded the complete SERVICE MANUAL for your truck on my file storage. You are welcome to download it right here . It is over 1000 pages. All you ever wanted to know about your Nissan. No,its not some sort of scam or free money from Nigeria thing....:-) good Luck

+ very nice research

mayer,

Thank you Sir, hope it will help out to get the Nissan going again :-)

-oldturkey03 Wow, I did the same exact thing. The Haynes repair manual told me that the thermostat was connected to the top radiator hose. It's actually connected to the bottom radiator hose for my model. Do you think you could post that manual again, I just bought the truck, and I'm fixing it up a bit. I would really appreciate it. Kevin

Kevin Seib,

@Kevin, click on the new link. It should be back up. Good Luck.

0

bennett
1

follow your top radiator hose to your engine! its realy the same on any car!

0

Terry Bowman
1

Where is the t-stat located on a 1996 2.4 Nissian Pickup engine?