0

Franck
11

Install SSD Disk on Mac Pro Early end 2009

Hello, i need install an SSD Disk 3.5" in my Mac Pro Early 2009 (Xeon Nehalem)

Edited by: Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( ) , Franck ( )

4

Gabe

Use one of these to convert your 2.5" SSD (if it is 2.5") into a 3.5" and then depending on your model, follow the instructions that apple gives to replace the HDD with a SSD or just add it on. Then install OS X on it so it will boot up from the SSD and no tthe HDD.

1

Lucky
13

You can also try this.

You can build your own SSD support.

.. Woah O_O thats intense

Gabe,

0

Franck
11

I do not understand why the Apple store they sell a replacement kit for Mac Pro SSD but only for Mac Pro built in mid-2010.

Someone told me that I would burn the SSD Disk with my Mac Pro (early end 2009) because it lacks the technology to fully exploit, is that true?

Not true.. as long as its SATA, it will work.

Gabe,

0

Alexander Ljungberg
1

Here's a more hacky solution.

I have a 2008 Mac Pro and a Crucial RealSSD 2.5" drive. I didn't have access to a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter, nor anywhere to buy one easily. I simply installed the SSD drive 'bare' in hard drive slot 1 by pushing it into the SATA connector at the back and then supporting the drive with a small object underneath it. The small object sits on top of the grey box underneath hard drive slot 1 (fan assembly?). In my case a small box of staples was just the right height to keep the SSD drive perfectly straight.

This is probably a risky way to install it since if the drive comes in at an angle it might ruin the SATA connector from stress in the plastic. But it works for me for now.

0

georgelien
1

I use ICY DOCK MB982IP-1S in my 2008 Mac Pro for installing SSD into my Mac.

0

DenisCmdr
1

Add any 2.5" Hard Drive or SSD to your Apple Mac Pro!

While designed with the OWC® Mercury brand SSDs in mind, the OWC Mount Pro 2.5 is the easiest way to add ANY 2.5" Hard Disk Drive or Solid State Drive to your Apple Mac Pro (2009-Current 'Nehalem' & 'Westmere' models).

The powder-coated aluminum and open design assists in heat dissipation while the blue color not only looks sharp, but allows you to tell at a glance which bays contain 2.5" form factor drives.

Installation is a breeze. Simply attach your 2.5" drive to the bracket using the four included hard drive mounting screws and swap with an existing 3.5" drive tray. The OWC Mount Pro 2.5 perfectly aligns the SATA connection from your 2.5" drive into the back plane SATA ports on the Mac Pro.

Note: Not for use with Mac Pro models released in 2006, 2007, or 2008

Warranty: OWC Limited Lifetime Warranty

0

Bruno Perri
25

Agree with DenisCmdr. Yesterday, I installed a 250GB Samsung SSD into my Early 2009 Mac Pro, running Mavericks OSX, using the OWC Mount Pro 2.5 adapter. What an installation breeze. I put the old WD hard drive into an external enclosure, and installed the new SSD (in the Mount Pro 2.5). I then followed the latest Apple Knowledge base information about backing up and using the Migration Assistant Utility. OWC also has some good technical advice on doing reinstalling the OSX and the file transfer.

https://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/f...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5872?viewl...