2

rowdygleason
25

Installed RRoD repair kit, still getting the three rings... What now?

So, I have an HDMI Xbox 360 that got the three red ring of death which I understood this ifixit kit would repair. I installed it to the very detailed and thorough instructions with no hiccups or deviations! I have experience repairing computers and audio devices (I am an engineer) so I am confident in my abilities with such things. However, to my dismay, the Xbox still boots up with the three RRoD even after using the kit thoroughly. The machine screws on pretty tight, I cleaned the top of the gpu and cpu as well as I could, made sure it was dry, and applied an amount of the white thermal paste to cover the top without getting too liberal. By the way, the light on the power supply is green when it's on, so I know it's not that.

Any suggestions for possible things I could check that messed up on or missed? And if then it still doesn't work, what do you think my options are for this xbox and why is it still RRoDing? is it possible that it's because this kit doesn't repair the 3 RRoD? Is it lost forever since I can't send it back to microsoft without the seal?

Edited by: Alex Jansen ( ) , Matt Barnes ( )

2

Matt Barnes

I had the same problem. I used our RRoD kit and it did not fix the problem, so I used the towel trick and it has been working for me.

Also, I have heard you can use a heat gun to fix the problem. You can do a Google search and find guides posted by different people using this method.

There is danger of further damaging your 360 with the above two options, but I figured my 360 was already broken so why not try something I would not have to pay money for.

The last option would be sending your 360's logic board away to a repair shop to get re-flowed.

Hope that helps!

In my case installing games to the hard drive helped this problem. I don't know if the vibration from the optical drive was causing the system to error, but now that I have the game installed the system runs without a problem.

Edited by: Matt Barnes ( )

1

pure3d2
165

Matt,

Your 360 will get the rrod again. I highly suggest you not do the towel trick or the overheating trick.

When it does break again (and I guarantee you it will), bring it to a professional to get it reflown with a real reflow station + preheater. Stay away from the quacks who use heatguns and electric griddles/hot plates.

A reball with leaded solder will be the best option as it's the longest-lasting repair, but it can be expensive (around $60 on craigslist).

0

whelchelbobby50
1

i had the same outcome with my own box. Studied up on the process of reflowing the board and in my experience, a simple hair dryer sufficed to get the job done.

0

solomon
171

I'd recommend to check for loose cables or short outs on the componets

0

Gary VenRooy
1

You could try the excellent RROD guide here on ifixit.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Xbox_360#de...

Edited by: rj713 ( ) , pollytintop ( ) , Gary VenRooy ( )

Gary, we love it when people help each other, but wherever possible please provide free links/guides etc and if there is a service available here for nothing there doesn't seem to be a reason to ask this person to pay. This is the reason I've edited your answer, Jen

pollytintop,

thanks rj for putting the link in. :-)

pollytintop,

0

Joel
1

I agree with the person who said go and get it proffesionaly reflowed and reballed as this will be a better fix, but the heat gun does work and does fix the console, and is a lot cheaper. If your console is out of warranty, then just think it's broke, try and fix it yourself, if it dont work your not too disheartened, but if it works quids in and saved yourself buying a new console.