1

Rinkal Shah
23

My camera takes black pictures. How do I fix it?

I have a Powershot S3 IS. Its has been a very good camera for me.

Yesterday I was talking some pictures in a museum and the camera suddenly starting taking black pictures. In all conditions and settings camera is taking black pictures. I am not able to see the actual scene that I want to capture. Camera shows it black. But capturing pictures is working normal and capturing black pictures. I can see all the graphics and setting numbers on LCD and View finder. I can also see previously captured pictures and videos without any problem.

Please guide me how can I fix this problem.

Yes by blinking I mean moving parts. Whenever I clicked a pictures there use to be a blink in the lens. I don't see that blink since the camera has stopped working.

Edited by: Rinkal Shah ( )

I have this exact same problem. The shutter iris doesn't open on power up on my S3. I held the telescoping lens in place on power up (forcing it to stay down). This opened it a couple times, but on power down and up, same problem. Does anyone have steps to opening the lens to fix it?

Brett,

4

Gabe

Sounds like your sensor stopped working or the shutter stopped working....

Do you see anything via live view?

Assuming thats what you meant when you said "not able to see the actual scene that I want to capture" the it could be the sensor or the shutter, assuming there is one. Do you see the aperture blades when you take a picture?

Edited by: Gabe ( )

Set the camera to manual and overexpose by as much as possible and set the F stop to like ƒ/8 or something high so you can actually see the aperture blades if/when they engage

Gabe,

There is no blinking in the camera lens when I try to click a picture. That is really strange. Previously when the camera was working, out of curiosity I had observed a blink in the lens when I try to click a picture. Please guide me what to do next.

Rinkal Shah,

A blink could mean shutter or aperture actually... what kind of blink? do you see moving parts?

Gabe,

2

epohl
37

Sounds like the shutter is stuck closed. I've seen this several times on the S2 IS. Usually there is an oily substance on the shutter blades.

Edited by: epohl ( )

2

Camera Repair
301

Know this is an old post, but this is a very common problem for the Canon S2 and S3 IS series cameras, and there are likely others reading this with the same problem. But happily, it's easily fixed without even putting a screwdriver to the camera. A stuck shutter is a common failure mode for digital cameras. The symptoms of a stuck or "sticky" shutter are very similar to CCD image sensor failure. The camera may take black pictures (for shutter stuck closed), or the pictures may be very bright and overexposed, sometimes with lines, especially when taken outdoors (for shutter stuck open).

To confirm a stuck shutter, put the camera in any mode other than "Auto", and turn the flash OFF (you don't want to blind yourself for the next step). Next look down the lens and take a picture. You should see a tiny flicker in the center of the lens as the shutter opens and closes. If no movement is seen, then you likely have a stuck shutter. If so, please see this link for further info and simple troubleshooting steps to correct the problem.

2

Rob
25

Hi

We are repairing this model.

The camera lens apart and clean and the iris blades

Also cleaning the shutter. Since the iris blades from sticking together through a substance, the dark picture. After assembling the camera works properly again.

0

Dane
1

Hi, are you here Camera Repair, or anyone?

I have a similar problem, my camera only takes black pictures and the screen is black and flickers with horizontal lines when i turn it on. The shutter opens, I did the check you suggested above and could see the shutter blinking when i took a picture, so it isn't that. Could it be the sensor, as you suggested regarding the initial question on this post? Do you know how i could check, and how to fix it??

Thank you so much, it would be great to hear from somebody. Thank you!

Dane

Dane, Yes I'm still here. If there's flicker, that suggests another problem such as CCD sensor failure. If your camera happens to be an S1 IS, then it's even more likely that it's sensor failure as there was an advisory recall (with free repair) for this issue. Unfortunately that has long since expired. If you are experiencing sensor failure with an older camera such as the S1 through S5, repair may not be worth the effort or even the cost of spare parts. Canon camera technology has increased immensely, and would recommend investigating a newer camera. Recommend the SX 10 through 50 series cameras. Think you'll be impressed. CR

Camera Repair,

0

Greg
1

I recently replaced the CCD sensor on my old S1 IS and now it works great. I was getting the black picture problem. Overall, replacing the CCD was a medium difficulty repair, with the hardest part removing the glue that was placed around the screws holding in the CCD and finding the correct bit (T4) to remove those screws. Overall, it took me about 1-2 hours to repair. I found the replacement CCD chip on ebay for $10.

0

Monica Mello
1

I have a Powershot SX200IS and I have the same issue, or almost the same. It takes black pictures only. I see the movement of the shutter when I take the picture. Any clue of how I can fix that?