How do I format my hard drive and reinstall Windows?
I have an Acer Aspire One ZG5, and I need to format the hard drive because of a virus. How do I do this, and how do I reinstall Windows XP after doing so? I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks!
You will need a usb dvd drive to plug into the acer (should be available for around $50 to $60 most places. My Acer netbook came with recovery discs if you have them you are good to go if not you will need a Windows OEM CD! And you will need to download the windows drivers from Acer! To boot from an attached USB drive, power the computer and press f12 when the logo shows on the screen this should allow you to select the dvd as the boot drive from there on just install Windows xp as normal!!
Go through the menus, and select the AOA150, then select the BIOS tab. Download the one you need (I used 3309, that was the one attached to the support response) Follow instructions below.
256MB USB drive or higher capacity.
1. Insert your USB drive/thumb drive into a working windows system. Open up my computer or computer and locate your usb drive and right click and select format. Format the drive with ‘FAT’ file system and not FAT32 minimum 256 MB in capacity.
2. Download the attached zip file AS1_BIOS_3309.Z
3. Extract the files on the root directory of the USB Flash Drive.
4. Turn off the Aspire One and make sure that both power adapter and battery are connected to the netbook.
5. Plug in the USB stick to any port on the failed Aspire One
6. Press and hold Fn+ESC and then press the power button. The power LED will now be blinking.
7. Press the power button ONCE. During this time, it will now initiate the BIOS update, DO NOT INTERRUPT IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
8. After about 2 minutes, the power LED will stop blinking and the Aspire One will reboot. The BIOS is now complete.
9. IF the unit DID NOT REBOOT BY ITSELF, wait a further 5 – 7 minutes before rebooting the unit as the BIOS may still be flashing.