1

freediverX
25

How do I upgrade my Time Capsule's hard drive?

I have a 500GB Time Capsule and I'd like to upgrade it with a 2TB hard drive.

Where can I find clear instructions on how to safely do this?

What would be the best replacement drive in terms of reliability, quiet operation, and performance?

Also, is there a way to migrate my data and settings to the new drive, or will I be forced to configure it from scratch?

Edited by: machead3 and oldturkey03 ( ) , freediverX ( )

4

rj713

Hi, I'm including an article on upgrading a a time capsule HD. Hope this helps you. Ralph

http://www.hardmac.com/articles/79/

What do you use to glue the thermal sensor back on the new drive?

freediverX,

I've not replaced the drive but in those situations I usually use double sided tape. If you are careful when you remove the sensor it will have enough glue on it to stick to the new drive. Ralph

rj713,

3

rab777hp

Looks like this is a slightly old topic, but maybe it's still live, here's an even better repair guide for upgrading the drive:

http://www.applefritter.com/node/23907

1

freediverX
25

These instructions left out the part about how to transfer my old backup data to the enw hard drive...

1

Doug
13

I wanted to chime in to say I successfully upgraded my time capsule 1TB HDD to a 3TB HDD. I ordered a Western Digital caviar green 3TB 5400 rpm WD30EZRX for $225 from Amazon.

0

Victor
1

before you remove the old drive, just copy the files on it to your internal drive, and then after the upgrade, copy them back to the new TC disc. otherwise, put the old disk into an external case and copy from there to the nw TC before you do any backups

should be ok.

0

Andreas Pfeiffer
1

Ok - there are some questions open. How big may a replacement drive be? I'd like to replace it with a 2 TB drive.

Also what drive do I need in order that the drive got into sleep mode when not needed. I read in one of the tips that the 1,5 TB Western Digital did not go into sleep mode. Which is bad.

0

rousp

Now there are repair guides here on ifxit. =)

0

Jowie
1

Man, I wish I'd known that I would have to copy the files off before removing the hard drive. Who'd have thought that the drive wouldn't be readable connected to another device!

Problem with the "just copy files onto your internal hard drive" is that when you have Time Machine backup files for several machines, it's very likely you won't have a hard drive big enough to copy the files onto... Catch-22!

So I've just started backups from scratch... Once it's done successfully then I'll wipe the old drive and use it for something else.

That's what I did as well. But keep the old backup disk as it is for a little while. In case you need files on it you can install it in the time capsule again. :)

rousp,

Unfortunately I don't have that luxury because I need the drive to install into another machine. However, I did archive the TC onto a 500GB drive about a month ago and that is stored off-site... So now it's successfully backed everything up I should be okay... (!)

Jowie,

0

Jowie
1

You have to be slightly careful with the WD Caviar Green drives, sometimes the firmware on them isn't compatible with the Time Capsules and so they don't spin down during idle time.

They may have solved this problem now, but it was a problem with the older smaller capacity drives. That's why I ended up with a Samsung EcoGreen. Would be interested in finding out how you get on with your 3TB WD drive!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.p...