2

Forest Walker
25

Can the Digitizer be removed from the glass panel?

Can the digitizer be removed from the glass panel on put on another glass panel?

4

Majesty

From what I have read on other forums the answer is no.

1

Spencer
13

No - I tried it and smashed the LCD. Lucky I had spares.

I just tried to remove and ended up screwing up. It's much better, just to order the glass with the digitizer and spare yourself the headache. The piece is much easier to put together that way anyway

dingler1109,

1

Akber Jesani
131

It is possible to remove the lcd from the digitizer but its a very difficult and tedious task. The best way to do this is to use a heat gun, but you have to be very careful that you do not "cook" the lcd because you can potentially damage it.

You have to carefully heat the glass and slowly and very carefully pry the lcd from the glass, i do not recommend doing this because the end result will more than likely be that you end up damaging the lcd so it's really not worth putting that much effort and time into doing this.

Does this come from experience? We tried this method and it didn't work.

Alex Jansen,

0

Don
1

Can somebody tell me if the back side of the LCD assembly (the digitizer) has a protective film on it? The one in the picture is as shiny as a mirror. The new one that I just purchased as a dull, looks like a plastic protective film on it. It does not however have a tab to remove the film or any indication that it should be removed. I believe it comes off, however I cannot verify for sure by watching any instructional videos. All I can tell is that my replacement part looks different (not mirror like)and the original part has an approx 1 inch my 1/8 th inch gray area on the mirrored surface. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Don

all the replacement glass I have bought for 3g/3gs had a protective film on both sides, I'd imagine that manufacturers would do this for a 4 too

pollytintop,

Thank you for the response. I'm guessing that is the situation in my case. I just do not see a tab to remove the protective film. I do not want to damage the digitizer.

Don,

the ones I just go in both have a protective film on the back of the lcd assembly. one is actually blue but the other is clear. just be careful when you remove it.

chargit,

0

bitesizepankakes
1

While it may be theoretically possible, it is not easy at all, and most attempts are all but guaranteed to kill the LCD in the process. The LCD and DIgitizer are a sealed unit, to prevent the dust which plagued earlier models.

Some suppliers, however, sell cheaper units which are either bonded in a much less secure manner, or which come as two separate parts (the LCD and Digitizer/Glass) which can be bonded with double-sided tape.

If you have already replaced the glass once and break it again, it is likely that you will have a much easier time separating them than if you have an original Apple supplied display housing.

0

Don
1

Hi i am not sure if this is the right item i need, but i dropped my iphone 4 and the screen has cracked, but the lcd is not broken just the thin glass above that, i am not sure what part i need or what it is called, please help me and get back to me explaining what i need, thanks.

you need iphone 4 digitizer and lcd (its all in one)

alyn jones,

0

Jeff
1

Stick with complete unit. It is too difficult to get good results otherwise!

0

Nick

It is a NO a majority of the time in the end, I would suggest a complete unit too

If you want to try it with the cracked panel and you have a complete unit, go for it, but the success rate is so low, it's not funny