3

Gary
37

Does not drain the water at the end of cycle

My dishwasher seems to function normally. The dishes seem clean, but the water from the last cycle remains in after it has stopped. The water is clear. I have read the manual and reset the system several times. When I press the cancel button to flush out the remaining water in the morning, you can hear the water being pumped out and it sounds like the pump is working well.

Edited by: ABCellars, rj713, and oldturkey03 ( )

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will work on it soon and see if any of these work.

Gary,

4

Chris C
217

It could be a clog in your drain. In my case if I do not run the garbage disposal before the dishwasher it will not drain properly (our dishwasher drain pipe connects to the drain at the garbage disposal).

True, nice thinking.

040304,

4

040304
7k

Check to see all of your filters are clear. There are float switches or sensors under the water that can get stuck down when they are dirty. After you reset the unit and the water has pumped out, go in with a screwdriver and remove all the covers and screens. Clean everything. If you have sensors or floats, clean them out too.

Be sure to remove all covers as fine particles can make it through some of the micron filters and clog pumps.

Let us know,

Regards

Frank

2

Bruno
25

you haven't recently had a new garbage disposal installed? Because if you did you might check to see that the knock out plug was removed. It's right inside the nipple where the drain house from the dishwasher attaches to the disposal. Sometimes folks forget to knock it out.

1

Steve
13

If you can run the pump then most likely your pump is fine and there is no clogs etc.

The most probable cause is your timmer is not activating or telling the pump to come on. Most likely you would need to replace the timmer.

Best of luck

Steve

1

Jeff Keane
13

make sure your drain hose is routed all the way to the top of the counter top before it drops back down to were it hooks up to your drain under the sink. This will create a trap so that when the pump kicks off the waste water will not drain back into the dishwasher.

1

Molly Jones
13

We have a GE dishwasher that is 7 or 8 years old. About 3/4 inch water was left on the bottom after the cycle completed. Our apartment building handyman replaced the piston [that pumps the water out]. It was a couple of small pieces of hard plastic so shouldn't be too expensive. Now it works fine.

1

Gil
61

somewhat the same as the earlier answer about routing the hose up in a loop. The water in your dishwasher is probably water coming back from the drain hose when the pump shuts off. Try the loop up as mentioned earlier first -its free. If that dosn't work check at hardware store for a check valve. Its just a "gate" that opens when water is being pumped but closes when pump goes off and prevents water draing back into machine.

GS

1

oguzcan oguz
13

In our case, there was a small piece of a broken plate that stuck in the drain pump. I don't know how the piece got his way through the filters to the pump. There was a barely noticable cracking noise when the machine was triying to drain the water. We opened the draining pump, which was located at the bottom of the machine, and removed the piece. It was fine then.

0

beaver12ca
43

In my DW, there was a valve that when it was cracked/not sealing kept it from pumping out of the tub. A trip to appliance repair supply with model number, a few dollars later and an hour of replacing it was all it needed to work great.

The valve is used to switch from pumping inside the DW to pumping down the drain.

Hope that helps.

0

Tim
13

Another possibility is that your drain pump is stalling. The usual design is with a rotor containing a permanent magnet. If the bearings are sticky then the rotor sometimes doesn't return correctly to the park position which means the pump stalls when it tries to run again.

If your pump is like this then unscrew it (usually 3 screws), pull the rotor assembly out of the housing, clean and grease the bearings then reassemble.

0

John
1

If your sink is equipped with an air gap drain attachment (normally it is the silver cylinder next to the faucet) this is the most likely place for a no drain issue. Remove the metal outer piece to access the plastic inner drain assembly, the top of this will also need to be removed by prying it off with a firm grasp and a back and forth motion or if it has a spherical top it will screw off. (Keep tying it will come off). Inside you will see a small opening or hose; this is the drain coming from the dishwasher and it dumps the drain water into the large hose which then goes into the disposal / drain, any obstructions to this hose and the dishwasher will only drain partially or not at all.

0

Dennis
1

Check for a clogged up air gap.

0

Kyle Wiens
10k

I just installed a new garbage disposal because the last one developed a leak in the plastic casing.

Garbage disposal worked great, but my dishwasher filled up with water. I realized that i forgot to remove the stopper plug from the disposal! They make them with a plug in case you're not hooking up a dishwasher.

So if you just installed a new disposal and now your dishwasher is filling up with water, check to see if there's a plastic plug blocking your drain.

0

Aneta
1

There is water left only after Quick cycle and Rince Cycle? It is ok after NOrmal cycle.

0

Michael Blair
1

Easy diagnosis on this one folks. If an inch or more water is present in the bottom after a completed cycle simply close the door and press the cycle start and press again to cancel. If the water is gone after the dishwasher completes the cancel cycle there's no problem with your pump, drain hose configuration or clogged filters. This will be a timer problem. If water remains then by all means you should check drain hose, pump, filters for proper operation.

0

Gil
61

I've always thought that people who had nothing better to do than sit at their computer and get into arguments on chat groups were pretty pathetic so please don't take me wrong Michael B. but I really don't like this answer, and its liable to lead someone to purchase a timer unnecessarily and they usually won't take them back. It would mean the timer was failing in some very unlikely ways--pump running fast, times out too soon ?? contacts partly broken off ,pump not running long enough ?? its so unlikely that its a timer, I wouldn't even mention it. Emptying washer by running a bit extra doesn't prove anything, it could still be a clog or a kinked hose or even the pump, the machine ran longer and finally managed to pump the rest of the water. Plus if you went back to cycle start its added more water so who knows , even if it pumped everything out this time there could be any one of several cause's still waiting to bite. No I still think the first cause most often is flow back from the drain and there are several possible reasons for that. Defective or no vacuum break, kinked or plugged hose or pump, funky drain configuration when sharing drain with disposals double sinks etc. Sorry my friend, but it's just not valid troubleshooting. respectfully GS.

0

Andrey
1

I had this problem once with my LG dishwasher and ended up replacing the sump assembly and few other parts, cleaned all components an pipes, nothing helped. But then I realized that I haven't checked the wires inside the door. Sure enough a couple of wires got glued to the door insulation due to heat and were torn when the door was opening/closing. One was a ground wire and the other was a white wire running all the way up to control box. Once I fixed the wires all started working properly.

I tend to agree with Mike B, if the water is clean at the end of a cycle and it is draining just fine at the beginning of the next cycle, the problem is likely not with filters or pump or hose configuration. It very well could be the timer, but it also could be the wire that runs the timer, or it could be some other control I am not aware of. But I would also agree with Gil in that it never hurts to run basic troubleshooting before rushing to the store like I did. At the end though we should be grateful for people like Mike B for offering worthwhile opinions that May or may not help and we should decide for ourselves on whether or not to accept the advice instead of making nuisance comments like the one above. Cheers

0

drdunks01
1

I just solved my drainage problem by routing the hose connected to the garbage disposal unit to counter height to prevent water from draining back into the washer. I recently replaced my disposal unit and failed to route the drainage hose high enough to avoid water running back into the washer.

0

Dessy Anaiwan
1

There could be a couple of things to matter. It can be possible that the drain is partially blocked.There is some debris or garbage in the bottom of the cycle. You can just clean that I am sure it will be resolved.

Edited by: Dessy Anaiwan ( )

This Month: 2,774