1

John Blish
23

Camera indicates low battery and shuts down.

Even with fresh batteries my camera shuts down - lens closes after opening - and the low battery light flashes. Is this a common problem, and is there a fix or workaround? Thanks!

Edited by: Matt Newsom ( )

Thanks markus. I saw your answer and fixed the camera. it works just like it should with the toothpick tips under the battery contacts. I lost the web page and was not able to find it to thank you until now. I appreciate your help. Thanks

John Blish,

thanks for the feedback, glad that it worked

markus weiher,

5

markus weiher
29k

yes - it is common

there is a workaround - like this

you can also use your preferred search engine and search for: powershot toothpick trick

++ LMAOOO Markus, you are something else. Where do you get these pics from??? LOL It seems like you have a pic in your library for every possible electronics situation.

Majesty,

should i really tell you that? - i'm a bot - lol. my library is the internet, i use search engines like every one and i use them in more than one language - nothing special at all ;-)

markus weiher,

I had a similar problem with a canon camera. The solution was to use litium batteries. The canon camera need needs the extra power.

larry,

use energizer ultimate lithium batteries...

whiz,

I read on a web site where a person solved this problem by repairing the contact in the bottom of the compartment where the battery goes in + end down. They used a slender dental pick with a crooked tip, reached under the contact, and gently bent it upward. That raised the battery up about a millimeter or so, making the tops of the two batteries even, and it then made proper contact. Apparently the springiness of the metal at the bottom of that chamber diminishes over time, and the battery descends into the compartment until it no longer makes good contact on the negative end. Sounds like the most elegant and permanent fix, if you can get a hold of a tool of that shape and delicacy. I haven't had this problem yet, but will bookmark this site (for when the inevitable happens), then I'll be prepared to deal with the issue.

Leighe Seier,

1

Philiipe
123

I had the same problem with a powershot A1200, and I found a proper way to fix it: I'm almost sure it may also apply to most of the powershots :

Repairing Canon Powershot Camera indicates low battery and shuts down

Edited by: Philiipe ( )

0

katmacan
1

I had the same problem.

1) You have to clean the battery contacts in the camera.

2) Check the contacts of the charger (if you are using rechargable batteries).

3) See if you need to get new rechargables.

4) make sure you use rechargables with more that more that 2200mAh power ratings value .

you're right - the frist steps should be like this - but he tried that and it didn't work. many powershots have the contact problem and can be "fixed" with the toothpick trick

markus weiher,

0

Michael Kucher
1

There is often a second, concealed "button" battery that can produce these symptoms. Test or replace it. The manual has instructions for locating and removing it.

0

Dave Whitehead
1

A common problem with these camera's is that in the contact within the camera springiness resulting in one of the batteries sitting 2mm lower than it should and not getting a good sitting.

Ideally this should be fixed properly (idea for a ifix walkthrough) but I've not been prepared to do this as yet and settled for a workaround fix which I posted about and is already linked on this site (also below)

Camera Contact Fix

0

Cjr
1

It worked for me for awhile. I had to keep doing it. Now, tonight I broke off one of the contacts, darn. Now I do not know what to do. Anyone have any thoughts?

What worked for you? If you can give us some more information, we might find a solution. Also post an image on here so we can see where and how it is broke,

See my update status below, I said I bought a parts camera on ebay and replaced the broken contacts that I broke from using the toothpick trick too many times. The contacts now work, but I still need to use the toothpick trick often.

Cjr,

0

magda
1

i try t fix ,and have the same problem; now what??

powershot toothpick trick didnt work , now what??

thans

Edited by: magda ( )

0

Cjr
1

I tried the toothpick trick, and it seemed to work occasionally and then go back to the same old, "Change Battery" I did it for over a year and finally I broke off one of the contacts. I bought a parts camera on eBay for $10 and took the contacts out of it and put them in my own camera. At least the contacts do work but I still have to use the toothpick trick. It is really aggravating. Canon should make a better camera, shame on them.

Next time, I will not buy a Canon.

0

somedumbaddress
1

Had problem with batteries since purchase, extremely short life or "change batteries" immediately with new batteries. Bought one brand of ultimate lithium that worked the best, but still too short. Per advice here, I have bent contact up. But then I put a small piece of foam under the contact to maintain the change. Hopefully this will keep me from having to go back and re-bend the contact, thus breaking it. I'll let you know...

0

jdq48
1

I'm having a problem with my Powershot A590. The camera appears locked with the lens extended. Now I can't open the battery compartment to replace the batteries. Normally, to open the compartment you slide the battery compartment lever on the cap forward and then slightly to the left as the arrow indicates but the battery container will not move left. I'm stuck with a camera with the lens fully extended but no lights or indication of power at all. No images can be seen on the view finder, no illumination at all. How can I get the battery container open to replace the batteries without breaking the camera?