1

marchinds
53

white screen after screen replacement

A customer attempted to fix his own screen and now the phone has a white screen. Phone has been reset, restored and the white screen is still there. A new screen has been put on by me but the white screen is still there. Volume and the touch screen work. you can double tap the home button and then touch where the play button is and music will play.

Edited by: marchinds ( )

Hi. I just replaced my Wife's screen and I too have a white screen and a small metal ring appeared to fall out around the vibrator area. Can you tell me where it is supposed to fit back in to? Much appreciated.

Dave Beatty,

The nut that i found was located near the cables for the screen and digitizer. It goes underneath the yellow screw on step 13 of the ifixit guide for iphone 4 screen replacement.

marchinds,

1

fryarludwig
579

It seems like you know what you're doing, since you replaced the screen already. All I can think of is that you could check the connectors on the logic board side, on the cable side, and the cable itself.

Since the touch is working I'm hesitant to blame the logic board. Best of luck! If you solve it I'd love to hear the answer.

I figured it out. There is a little metal ring that looks like a nut that is under a two prong metal holder near the top of the logic board. When the Client took apart the screen the first time he removed the screen this piece came out. He handed me a few parts that he couldn't find out where they went two. I took apart two iPhone 4's side by side and carefully looked for differences. This was one of the only ones that I saw. I put the metal ring back in and put the phone back together and the screen worked. I don't know what the purpose of the metal piece is but it seems to be the cause of the white screen.

marchinds,

I am confident this is not the cause of the White Screen or the fix. That small serrated round nut, falls out of many iPhone 4 and often is never replaced and is without compromise to the iPhone 4 function. The only function it appears to have is to help stabilize the so called WiFi Antenna plate. Glad you got the screen issue solved. But more likely it was that the LCD Display Connector was never quite perfectly pressed down into place on the Logic Board Connector.

Brad,

Yea i don't know for sure if it was the nut that was the fix. All i do know is that i have never had an issue seating a connector and for this particular phone i tried four different screens. Its hard to believe that all four didn't set correctly onto the logic board. i would love to hear from anyone what the part is really for. It is the only difference that i made in trying all four screens and now the white screen is gone. the IT person at my work thinks that it may have been a grounding issue.

marchinds,

0

Frederik
1

I am having the excactly the same problem with a customers phone.

Is there any way you could take a picture of this piece or link me to a place where I can see it? I don't quite understand where you mean.

Thank you so much!

0

Christian Brunet
1

I too have the same issue with my screen I just replaced. I found the nut as well and replaced it into its correct location and still witnessed the white screen. I can't figure it out and I'm really desperate for an answer.

After a close examination of the ring and it's location on the board(under the two prongs) it seems to hold the bottom screw in place, now I'm not expert but that must cause something. Luckily I have a second iPhone 4 that I will use until I have resolved the white screen and I will also use this iPhone to compare and hopefully resolve the issue. Ease if anyone knows the answer please let me know! Thanks guys!

0

Christian Brunet
1

Okay I figured it out, it's not any connections or missing parts, it's the faulty screen. Today I took my iPhone 4 to an expert and they told me that it was the screen not working correctly. They told me to ship it back to the company who sold me the screen and ask for a replacement.

0

con

If a hard reset does not fix the white screen 99% of the time it's a faulty screen

0

MANISH KESRA
1

I Have The Same Problem I used the i fix it guid to put it back together and then the screen worked for a couple of hours, i charged it over night after finishing to fix it at about 11pm and in the morring it worked for an hour then it goes white, i can see some icons but its all white

0

rbarillotjr
1

I just had this problem yesterday. I initially tried reseting the device to no avail. So i opened it back up to discover that the connector had either come loose or I didnt properly iinsert the first time (much more likely). I then click it in put it all back together and just like that. That little apple popped up. :)