0

Eric
1

SMC won't reset. Is there another way?

My MacBook won't sleep without immediately waking up, and won't shut down without immediately restarting. I can turn it off by holding down the power button, but it still turns back on when the magsafe is plugged in.

It seems like I need to reset the SMC, but when I follow the instructions to do that (turn off computer, push left shift-control-option-power) it just turns on. Is there another way to reset the SMC, or is there something that I'm missing?

So when i tryed first option. It didnt reset. My adapter is blinking green orange. My battery can be removed but ive tried to reset smc 100 times now and to now affect

Andre Battle,

1

machead3

Depends on the age of your Macbook:

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.

3. Remove the battery.

4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

5. Release the power button.

6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.

7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

3. On the built-in keyboard, '''press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.'''

5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

If this answer was helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

As I stated, this didn't work. Do you know of any alternatives, perhaps an internal button or battery I could pull?

Eric,

Since you have to hit keyboard keys at the same time as the jumper you'll need help. If you connected an external USB keyboard and shorted the PWR jumper at the same time as pressing the keys that might work.

machead3,