An awesome team of students from our education program made this wiki.
Device Not Responding
Roku is plugged into power and HDMI port but does not display
- Ensure that the power light on the Roku Streaming Stick is on and flashing. If not a possible issue is that the device is not receiving power. Check and make sure the micro-USB is plugged into the wall, and make sure that it is plugged into the Roku.
- If the light is not on, inspect the micro-USB port for any damage. If the port looks damaged then the port could have issues sending power. If the port looks fine then check the wire for cuts and frays.
Loose Display Connector
- Make sure that the Roku Streaming Stick is properly connected to the HDMI port of the screen you are using. Push in either side of the HDMI cord to ensure that it is fastened in.
- Make sure that the screens input is set to the appropriate HDMI port. You can check this by hitting the INPUT button on the remote of the T.V. you are using and changing it to the appropriate input.
App Leads To A Black Screen
- If the system is working but some apps are not working the following could be occurring:
- 1. Some Apps may lead to a black screen due to a lack of internet connection. Simply navigate to the settings menu on your Roku. Find the internet settings and check if the internet is connected. If not find a WI-FI connection and connect to it. If the signal is weak or unresponsive simply turn your WI-FI connection on and off to reset it.
- 2. Some Apps may lead to a black screed due to a corruption of App Data. Simply uninstall the app, and reinstall the App. If the problem persists it could be the App itself and you should contact the developers.
Remote Not Synced
Roku Streaming Stick is working and displaying but remote does not seem to control device
Batteries Are Dead
- Check and make sure that there are batteries in the remote. If so, check and make sure that the batteries have a charge using a voltmeter.
Batteries Have Corrosion
- Check and See if the remote has corrosion on the batteries or on the battery connection points. See link on what Battery corrosion looks like (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHzy7Xg... ). If they have Corrosion get vinegar and cotton swabs. Then dip the cotton swabs in the vinegar and rub them on the corroded areas. Take a small brush and brush off the corroded area until it is gone.
Remote Button's Unresponsive
- If the Roku 1 remote is working but certain buttons are not working, a possible issue is that the buttons are not connecting. Take the Roku apart and follow this guide. Make sure everything is there and wipe it out.
Remote Not Responding
- Remotes could not be synced or may loose their syncing over time. This can be identified by the remote having power, however the device is not responding to the input. Simply find the resync button on the back of the remote for about 5 seconds and the remote should be properly repaired
Faulty Network Connection
Online apps are present on system, but when accessing apps that use online services errors are received
Message "Low Signal Strength"
- This message means that the app does not have a strong enough signal or does not have any signal to get data for app. If so navigate to the settings menu and click on the internet option. Simply turn the WI-FI on and off and it should reconnect the WI-FI. If this does not solve it contact your internet provider about possible connection issues.
- There are extended dongles that Roku provides from http://myroku.com/hdmi that could help with this issue.
My streaming stick used to work fine and works fine once connection is established. But it takes almost 10 minutes to establish a connection to the wireless router. Any suggestions?
ramiyer45 - Reply
i have problems playing games on my roku stick the button rolls at the bottom are to close together, and i keep missing the OK button and ruining my games, then i have to start over from the beginning. i want to upgrade but this poses as a problem. can’t you design a stick that have more space between the bottom rolls. thank you
rose marie sipes - Reply
i have problems playing games on my roku stick. the button rolls at the bottom are to close together, and i keep missing the OK button and hitting the one under it, messing up my score .
then i have to start over. can’t you design a stick that ha more space between the bottom rolls.
rose marie sipes - Reply
My RoKu stick quits in the middle of a program.
John Hurt - Reply
Sounds like my experience with it. Complete junk.
Andy McElroy -