Very helpful tutorial. Couple of things I’d add in addition to comments above.
1. I did not unplug the fan, just gently slid it out of the case with the logic board.
2. Removing the HDD helps to unplug the motherboard.
3. When adding a SSD drive I swapped places, moving the old HDD one to the upper bay and placing new SSD in where HDD used to sit.
4. Pulling up on the antenna plate with tweezers while trying to seat it worked best to make it align.
I installed high sierra through internet recovery and everything works great! HDD exist as additional storage at this point.
The process was pretty straightforward, you do need to be careful in a few spots (like the wifi antenna in the lower right) but overall I found it to be of medium level of difficulty.
It took me 2.5hrs to slowly dismantle and replace the broken screen.
Here are some tips I learned while doing it:
- instead of plastic spudger, better to use kit knife or razor blade. I found plastic to bend and malform quite easily.
- watch out for lower right corner where wifi antenna sits, it's easy to damage it
- if you have a cracked screen, use protective goggles - i used tape to secure broken glass pieces together, but that didn't quite work and lots of glass was flying as I was prying the screen off the ipad
- opening tool you put in the microwave sold here is not worth it - didn't do that great for me. I mostly used a hair drier and was very successful melting adhesive
- tools I'd only need again to do it again - guitar picks, kit knife, phillips screwdriver, hair drier :D
Overall, I found it to be quite interesting project!
Once they have, you'll be able to view a graph of their reputation gained over time.
Here's a preview of what the graph will look like:
No reputation gained yet.