I just started my second replacement. Used a dremel tool to remove the epoxy. Popped out old batteris and installed new ones.
Well, its done and working. The only thing I have yet to do is test it on an actual sensor. I did things a bit differently after step 7. I tried gluing the top contact to the battery but the superglue would simply not adhere. So I soldered the contact to the battery with the smallest amount of solder. I followed with a coating of epoxy as Joern outlined. I am getting 19 on the multimeter so I am confident all will work well.
Excellent post Joern. The batteries were exactly as you described. I am up to step 7 and just ordered my batteries on eBay. I will post an update once I get the batteries installed. To do the surgery, I mounted the transmitter in a vise and then went at it with my Dremel. I used the multi-purpose cutting bit (561) and the engraver tool for the fine work.
My only setback was when I bent back one of the top contact plates and it broke off. I will need to solder it back in but I am not too worried.
I found this posting after I paid out of pocket for a new unit but I really want to see if I can get my old one back up and running.
If anyone has any dead units they want to donate to science please contact me. I would like to see if I can do an even finer job.
Once they have, you'll be able to view a graph of their reputation gained over time.
Here's a preview of what the graph will look like:
No reputation gained yet.