Where do I get replacement encoder dials?
How do I remove the keyboard for cleaning?
Need a replacement Pairing button
These are some common tools used to work on this device. You might not need every tool for every procedure.
Background and Identification
The Teenage Engineering OP-Z is a fully portable synthesizer and multimedia sequencer made by Teenage Engineering, a Swedish consumer electronics company founded in 2005. This device can produce complete music tracks and sound effects and is also capable of trigger-track sequencing, image and 3-D graphic sequencing, DMX light sequencing, MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface), and CV (control voltage). It includes 16 separate tracks that can run individually, so each can be set with different track speeds and lengths. The sequencer has component sequencing capabilities, meaning it can add variations per cycle, micro-sequencing, direction, not variations, re-triggers, and parameter changes. The sequencer includes 14 components, and each component has 10 different behavior programs or values.
The OP-Z features a ‘photomatic’ function that allows users to arrange photographs into stop-motion photography that can be synchronized with effects and music. Users can also import media into the OP-Z via Dropbox.
Each of the OP-Z’s keys is backlit with multicolor LEDs (light-emitting diodes), but it does not include a built-in LED screen. However, the OP-Z can connect to iOS devices and pair them with an iOS application. The device has a 115-decibel dynamic range and 2 octaves of musical keys. It also has a USB-C port and a 3.5 mm jack. It is made of grey plastic and includes all 53 keys on its front face.
- USB: USB Type-C
- Line In/Out: 1/8" / 3.5 mm 4-pole jack
- Microphone: Integrated MEMS microphone
- Sensors: 6 x-axis motion sensor (g-force) assignable to any synthesizer parameter
- Control Input:
- Tactile input
- 2 octaves of musical keys
- 51 mechanical keys in total
- Pressure-sensitive pitch bend
- 4 x multipurpose, color-coded, high-resolution encoders
- Volume knob / on the switch
- Pairing button
- Indicator LEDs: 53 LED indicators
- Type: Teenage Engineering-designed floating ball bearing, hall-sensor encoders for minimal stacking height and wear
- Battery Life: Standby: 2 years
- Charging: Via USB port
- Analog Devices Blackfin 70X DSP
- Cirrus Logic audio coprocessor
- 1250 MMACS
- 48 kHz/24-bit DAC
- 115 dB Dynamic Range
- Construction Material: Ultra-rigid engineering plastic
- Housing: IXEF 1022 PARA + 50% glass fiber
- Dimensions (L x H x D): 8.4 x 2.3 x 0.4" / 212.5 x 57.5 x 10.0 mm
- Length for Volume Knob: 0.2" / 5.0 mm