Support QuestionsAsk a Question
There are no questions. Be the first to ask a question!
Background and Identification
The Honda General Purpose Engine GX35 was released by Honda in 2005 as the successor to the GX25 engine. The GX35 is a 35.88cc (1.3 horsepower) four-stroke engine that replaced the GX31 engine as Honda’s most powerful handheld engine. Common applications for the GX35 engine include commercial lawn and garden equipment, tillers and cultivators, construction and industrial equipment, agricultural equipment, and water pumps.
The GX35 engine has an oil-immersed timing belt and overhead camshaft design. This design allows the valve train of the engine to be incorporated into the oil reservoir, reducing the size and weight of the GX35 over the GX31. The GX35 was the world’s lightest overhead camshaft engine when it was first released. The belt-driven overhead camshaft reduces the engine’s mechanical noise output.
The GX35 features “any-side-up” operation, meaning it can be used and stored in any position. It also has a rotary-slinger lubrication system. There is no mixing of gas and oil within this engine, making it easier to maintain. The engine can hold 3.4 ounces of oil and 0.67 quarts or 0.1675 gallons of fuel. Honda recommends using unleaded 86 octane or higher gasoline for this engine. The GX35’s dry weight (without oil or gasoline) is about 7.6 pounds. The GX35 model is “CARB compliant,” meaning that the engine meets the California Air Resources Board’s rules and regulations for air pollution.
The Honda General Purpose Engine GX35 can be identified by the name “GX35” above the brand name “Honda” in capital letters on the back cover of the engine. The GX35 has a red main engine cover and black details.
- Model Name: GX35
- Type: e-SPEC air-cooled 4-stroke single-cylinder OHC
- Displacement (cm3): 35.8
- L x W x H (mm): 198x234x240
- Outfitted Weight (kg): 3.88
- Dry Weight (kg): 3.33
- No. of Cylinders / Bore x Stroke (mm): 1 / 39x30
- Maximum Output/Engine Speed (kW[PS]/rpm): 1.2[1.6]/7,000
- Maximum Torque (N-m[kg-m]/rpm): 1.9[0.19]/5,500
- Direction of Rotation: Counterclockwise (viewed from output shaft side)
- Fuel Type: Automotive-grade unleaded gasoline
- Fuel Tank Capacity (L): 0.65
- Fuel Consumption (g/kW-h [g/PS-h]): 360 
- Oil Reservoir Capacity (L): 0.1
- Carburetor: Diaphragm type (overflow return)
- Ignition: Transistorized magneto
- Spark Plug: NGK CM5H/CMR5H
- Starter: Recoil type