The HP Compaq nc6000 was released in 2004. This laptop was released after HP bought Compaq and was released while HP used the Compaq label. Many disassembly procedures will be familiar to someone who has worked on Compaq branded models.
To identify this system, look for an HP logo (old style) and Compaq nc6000 sticker on the LCD bezel. It can also be identified by the HP service tag on the bottom chassis if the nc6000 sticker is not present due to time. The model can also be found in the BIOS as well.
- Primary battery: As these laptops are old, many of the original batteries are dead. HP has not sold new batteries for quite some time, so you will need a 3rd party one or a older battery that is still functional if you want a working battery.
- It may be possible to rebuild dead batteries, but this is beyond the scope of most DIYers. This requires a spot welder and a new case.
- CMOS battery: These are typically dead on older notebooks and the HP nc6000 isn't exempt. Replacement requires removal of the display, keyboard, button trim, and palmrest to replace it.
- Note: If you are able to rebuild the dead cell (and are comfortable doing so), it is possible to do this. A CR2016 is required for this specific notebook.
While the HP nc6000 notebook has never been recalled, some older HP battery packs are subject to one. This is because of the Sony battery recalls that affected the entire industry. Due to the widespread nature of the recall, all batteries MUST be checked before doing any testing.
Identification information for the recalled HP batteries can be found on the CPSC website. While HP no longer replaces these packs, they are dangerous. Recycle them and identify accordingly.
- Processor: Pentium M
- Originally 1.4-1.7GHz; 1.8-2GHz options added later
- Possible 2.1GHz option?
- Most systems ship with a 1.6GHz CPU, but others may vary. Check your system's specs to find out which CPU is installed.
- Graphics: ATI Radeon Pro 9600
- 32 or 64MB VRAM options
- 32MB systems are more common. The 64MB board is hard to find.
- Factory hard drive options (IDE)
- 30GB (4200 rpm)
- 40GB (5400 rpm)
- 60GB (5400 rpm)
- 80GB (5400 rpm)
- Most systems ship with 256-512MB.
- Maximum RAM support: Up to 2GB (PC2700/DDR 333)
- Card options:
- Factory delete (No wireless installed)
- (802.11 a/b/g) HP W500 (HP Spare #325525-001)
- (802.11 b/g) Atheros 5212A (HP Spare #325526-001)
- (802.11 b/g) Intel WM3B2200 (HP Spare #368247-001)
- (802.11 b/g) Intel WM3B2200BG (HP Spare #368248-001)
- (ROW) (802.11b) Intel WM382100RWHPQ (HP Spare #345640-001)
- (MOW) (802.11b) Intel WM3B2100WWHPQ (HP Spare #345641-001)
- (Japan) (802.11b) HP W500 (HP Spare #325526-291)
- (Japan) (802.11b) BCM9430MPLNA (HP Spare #339742-291)
- BCM5705M 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet
- Anatel T60M283.00 (Software DSP) 56K V.92 Fax Modem