AirPods 2 Teardown
These are some common tools used to work on this device. You might not need every tool for every procedure.
Background and Identification
In March of 2019 Apple quietly released its second-generation AirPods. They look almost identical to the first-gen buds released in 2016; the only noticeable external differences being the relocated LED charging indicator and a slightly different hinge. Internally they are sporting a new H1 chip that uses Bluetooth 5 to bring new features like “Hey Siri” support and better mic performance. The 2019 case also has support for wireless charging.
- AirPods (each) - 0.14 ounces (4 g)
- Charging Case - 1.41 ounces (40 g)
- AirPods (each) - 0.65 by 0.71 by 1.59 inches (16.5 by 18.0 by 40.5 mm)
- Charging Case - 1.74 by 0.84 by 2.11 inches (44.3 by 21.3 by 53.5 mm)
- AirPods - Bluetooth
- Charging Case - Lightning connector
- Dual beam-forming microphones
- Dual optical sensors
- Motion-detecting accelerometer
- Speech-detecting accelerometer