Battery Won't Charge After Dock Connector Replacement?
I spilled water on my charging cable. I let it dry for a few hours, plugged it into my phone, and it seemed to work fine. After a few days it started having trouble. I would have to reinsert the cable once or twice before it would charge. Eventually it stopped connecting to any cable I had, so I took a look at the dock connector. That thing looked in bad shape. So I ordered a new dock connector.
I just got the new dock connector into the phone and fired everything up. When I plug the charging cable from either a computer or wall outlet, all I get is the icon telling me it is pulling power from the cable. It won't charge the battery.
I've done some troubleshooting already. I restarted the phone. I opened everything up, disconnected the battery and dock connector cables inside of the phone, recleaned the connection points using a q-tip with Windex, connected everything again, and closed up the phone. Still the same problem.
I'm really at a loss here. The phone wasn't submerged in liquid, so I do not see how there could be a short somewhere else such as with the battery or logic board. Any guidance on where to go from here would be appreciated.
- iPhone 4's have water damage indicators, one which you can find by looking into the dock connector charging port through the iPhone case. If the red, or pink button, depending on your model, popped up, then the phone has been submerged for more than 4 seconds. If this is the case, use compressed air, or an iFixIt dust blower, found here. It is a great tool, and could help you dry the connector.
- You said that you spilled water on the charger, so try replacing the charger if the above suggestion didn't work. This could very well be the answer.
- Cleaning the connectors with Windex is not the best idea. Use a special liquid formula for it.
I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject, I do not quite understand your situation. Hope my suggestions can help, and good luck with your future repairs!
Cleans delicate circuits and hard to reach places. — 50+ available at 4.95 each.
Well I can be wrong,but this sound like a power management problem which is the ic chip that controls the current flow on the main board not the ( charger dock).This circuit has a relay or pass thru switch somewhere that tell the main board if the battery is connected bypass the charge circuit if not tell the phone it needs to be recharge.If it can't detected the battery being connected to the main board it will not charger or turn on unless it is plug into the outlet which bypass the circuit that controls battery function.There is a way to fix it,but you have to have a reball station for this to work.Good Luck
Use 99.9% icopropyl alcohol to clean the logic board. Could be moisture on the board. Check this out from Frys.com
Get a brush that doesn't conduct electricity like a nylon brush from the store. Dip some alcohol on the brush and scrub the board. If it doesn't work try a new charger flex/battery and if it doesn't work there are companies that can microsolder. Check my webpage for more info.