The Playstation is Sony's first mass-market game console.

Doesn't Seem to Pick up Discs; Goes Straight to Main Menu

My original PlayStation has been up in the attic for a couple of years. When put away it was still reading disks and playable, stored in a closed rubbermaid container. When I plug it into my tv with the aux cable it seems to spin the disk for only a couple seconds and the white and orange sony logo comes up. After this it goes directly to the console's main menu with the only selection to view memory cards and for the cd player. I've tried a plain cd and that isn't picked up either. Its not making any grinding noises and the part the cd goes on will spin quickly if touched. Not sure if the motor that runs the console is out or if it is another problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Most Helpful Answer

I assume you're talking about the original Playstation, and not the slimmed down PSOne. Unfortunately, this is a common issue with the original Playstations, one day they just stop playing, but there are a few things you can try to extend the playing life.

Use this guide to open up to the optical drive. Be careful, its only held in with the ribbon cable. First I would try cleaning the lens. If that doesnt work, try opening up the module and using a penetrating lubricant(like liquid wrench), lubricate the inside of the spindle and the screw track and rod for the lens.

LaceyBuffaloe will be eternally grateful.