Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

Curious to know why the replacement display assembly is so expensive.

I'm in the market for the iPhone 4 Display Assembly (GSM/AT&T) offered on iFixit.com for $119.95. Looking elsewhere I can find them anywhere from $25-$40. This has to be apples and oranges, but I cannot tell the difference. The cheap versions claim to be OEM, and look the same. They must be garbage compared to the iFixit product, but I would appreciate knowing why before I buy it so I feel justified. Thanks.

Everything is made in China. I purchase and use many from eBay and wholesalers, both US and Asia...Overall I have never had quality issues with the glass or LCD from them. My recommendation is to buy elsewhere. It's a ploy to get you to buy an expensive product by advertising that it's competition is cheap or fake.

Like I said, I have purchased and used MANY of the replacement screen assemblies from various sellers on eBay and have had no issues with "blurry" or plastic instead of glass.

Occasionally I get a poorly constructed frame/bezel, but I have purchased and used 100's, so you are bound to get a few bad ones.

If you are trying to save the $$, buy off eBay as you have the guaranteed Buyer's Protection.

I actually accept both of these answers. Although the discrepancy adds to my confusion, it also validates my suspicions. There are reasons to buy the more expensive screen, and also reason to give the cheaper versions a shot. I think I will try the latter before the former. Thanks for the advice.

Most Helpful Answer

It comes down to price, no one answering here works for ifixit, so we have nothing to gain from recommending them. At the end of the day ifixit may well buy from the same place as ebay sellers, but they are more interested in quality control and also have more overheads to cover. Aftersales service here is excellent. I have only ever bought from eBay sellers (as I'm overseas) I always check feedback etc and I have nothing against ordering direct from Hong Kong or China dealers direct and save even more money. OEM is just a catch phrase now....

The reason why they are so expensive is because the LCD, digitizer, speaker, and glass are all integrated. I wouldn't risk buying from other sources that may not be reliable. I would buy the glass from iFixit because when I tried to buy an iPhone glass panel from another source that said it was OEM it turned out to be plastic, not glass, and the screen was blurry and sometimes unresponsive. Every single panel I have gotten from iFixit has been perfect and not one has had a problem.

funny, all lcd screen made in china including ifixit, ifixit is too greedy

curt will be eternally grateful.