Samsung Galaxy Nexus

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is part of Google's NEXUS lineup of flagship devices. It has an HD Super AMOLED display, curved display, and Android version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

Power Button stopped responding. Phone will not turn on.

I have had this Samsung Galaxy Nexus for less than 3 months. Originally, it took about 20 presses to get the power button to respond, now nothing happens when I push. The screen comes on when I plug the phone to power to show the battery indicator, but nothing else happens. How can I fix this? Seems to be a common problem with the Samsung Nexus S.. and now the Galaxy Nexus.

Funny I just got mine a week ago exactly and it has done the same thing on me about an hour ago. Still waiting to see if I can get it to power back on. Not a happy camper at all.

by Katzz

I m using Samsung galaxy fame as my power button is not working properly so suggest me wat to do... Waiting for reply.....

by goldenprince

My iPhone 4 fell a lot this time half the screen is covered and it won't fix help:(

by Gabriella

All u gotta do to turn your phone on is to plug it up

by malloydamya

So I had since gotten this fixed with help from a friend.

Solution for when your power button does not work: take the battery out of the phone. plug it into your USB (without battery) you will hear computer beeping. Put the battery back into your phone.

Hope this works for you as well as it did for me as this had my device up and running right away. Have not had this issue since. Crossing fingers.

Thank you Katzz! I didn't think that would work, but I tried it and lo and behold! It works! I can use my power button again!

by Nathan Spears

Hi the USB to the laptop worked for me and my phone has turned itself back on again, nothing wrong with charger or battery this has to be a software problem, in the past I have had issues turning off ! not good this phone has a life of its own. Thank you so much for the post from katzz :-)

by spottydog

thank you thank you thank you very much katzz for spending some of your time to just write that solution of the laptop and usb in this site. it had helped a lot of users tackle the problem. thank you very much and god bless you and people like you

by Siddhartha Borchetia

My Samsung nexus google phone did this to me today...was a bit panicked- it was fine when I went to bed and just went off n the night. Same as the rest; battery charge screen came up so not a screen or a charge issue but nothing else. Came on the net and found Katzz' solution and thought I'd give it a go and now its working fine again! Thanks very much for the solution; I will remember that!

by Veronica Halliwell

Samsung galaxy mini S5570 had the same problem. Back button and power key. followed Katzz solution. Works like a miracle.

by Tausif

to turn your phone on try the following action :

plug in your usb connector into your phone for exactly 3 sec and take it off ...

you must try several times ...

if the battery icon appears take usb cable off and try again.

It works for sure ... but you have to be as accurate as possible : 3 sec ...

Isaya

THANK YOU SO MUCH ISAYA!!!!! That worked perfectly. I tried everything and that's the only one that worked. Also...once up, the Power button app works to make your volume button behave like the power button...to wake up the phone/tablet/player.. to turn your phone on try the following action : plug in your usb connector into your phone for exactly 3 sec and take it off ... you must try several times ... if the battery icon appears take usb cable off and try again. It works for sure ... but you have to be as accurate as possible : 3 sec ... Isaya

by kieran

Thank you so much Isaya i had been struggling with my Samsung Galaxy S2 and have read numerous solutions on how to get my mobile to turn on again after the battery died. It had fallen into milk and was working but when the battery died, it didnt turn back on even though battery charging was showing on screen when i put it in charge. i tried your 3 sec charging and taking it out and now my S2 is working again, soo pleased. Thanku Isaya!.

by Nafisa

i was searching for this for hours!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Bomba RuLz

thank you very very very much :)

by Satyabrata Das

Thank you very much my dearest friend you just saved my phone and i dont know how to show my gratidute to you ...It didnt work actually with katzz advice to my cell phone but your idea was just awesome...Have a nice day ...god bless you...Thanks again...Hope everyone s phone will be finally fixed up without paying any costs to any shop ...just try the forums and be satisfied.

by gianakis911

I tried all of the above, but nothing worked, so after a lot of trying i discovered something that ACTUALLY WORKED! I have a Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus phone. What I did:

1) Connect phone with USB charger to your computer

2) Take out battery

3) Press the volume down and center menu button at the same time

4) While pressing the two buttons put battery back in

Your phone will give you a reset mode screen, press volume down, and your phone will automatically reboot itself and turn on:) PS! none of my information or data was lost.

omg! thanks! this really works! thank you so muchhh!!!

by grenatakasan

This worked. Thank you. What a relief!

by thembiterryzulu

pls put your charger without battery and

hold the middle button now put the battery into phone

your phone will move on to recovery mode where you just press reboot system now icon using middle button ur phone will start

Thank you so much, it worked! Your a lifesaver! :D

by Erin Mooney

My GSM Galaxy Nexus power button also stop working for a couple of days, no matter how many times I pressed it. Finally it works. Here's my solution or non-solution: The first 2 days I keep pressing it out of frustration, taking battery in and out numerous of time. Then I gave up and decided to turn it in for repair. The third day, it started working but differently, each time I short press it, it always ask me restart, instead of just blanking out the screen. It keeps doing that for a day. Then half a day later, it works perfectly again. Short press blanks out or turn on the screen, long press for restart. So the solution is just be patient and praying for others, instead of for the phone.

My galaxy 2 got problem with power button. I tried the first two options for so many times,but didn't work. I was frustrated. When i tried this option, it worked. Thanks Rockus123

by BK

open the back, there is a little reset button, it does not look as if you can press it, but press for at least 10 seconds and tur the phone back on. ***VUWALA**MAGIC

then everything would be deleted right ??? like my pics n all

by Sania Saxena

Which one is the reset button?

by Gwyneth

The reset button what is it looks like??

by Otaku Mode

My samsung Galaxy mini GT-S5570 is not working after it fall in the floor.The power button is not working,what should I do??Please help me

any other ways? please help me..none of the ideas are working :'(

'''Iv had my samsung fame phone one year and now it wont turn on. help

I have it from 4 years

by Doc Brown

If the screen shows the battery indicator when you plug it in, then either the battery is bad or your charger is bad and the phone is not charging properly. As staff at a GNex forum, this is only the second time I have heard this, and the following solved the other problem:

I would make sure the charger is the one that came with the device (I have a few LG micro-USB chargers that fit, but do not charge the device) and wait about 5-6 hours to make sure it charges completely. If it still will not power up, try another battery. (the GNex uses a battery that includes the NFC antennae right on the battery so if you plan on using that, you will need that in the permanent one)

If a new charger and battery do not solve the problem, it may be an issue with the wiring to the battery/charging circuit. A replacement may be required.

@fish1552. This is definitely not a battery problem. The phone had charge but the power button was not responding when I push it so I could not unlock the screen. The only way to unlock the screen was to 'jump' it by connecting it to a USB. I turned off the phone by removing the battery so I could reboot - with the power button not responding, the phone will not come on. When I connect the phone to the OEM charger - it charges normally which is why I mentioned the battery indicator. I posted this on GNex forum as well and the other person had to send is phone to samsung for repairs (verizon phone). I have the GT-I9250 which Samsung USA says they don't have the parts to fix.

by Booh1

Your welcome Nathan. I believe in pay it forward. wink

by Katzz

(I know a little late, but posting up for others that may find this) Here is some technical info I found: If you try to charge your phone by the USB port on your computer, you may over power the port and it may shut off even though it looks like it is charging. The normal current draw on the phone may be just under 1 Amp, but using the normal USB cable that came with the device may limit the current going to the device. Now some third party cables are set up to short the pins inside the cable to allow more current flow. Trying one of those may solve the problem and get the device out of a deep sleep and fully charge the device. That may be why Katzz's suggestion works for some and not others. I would recommend for anyone else having the same problem to try multiple USB cables plugged into wall chargers or even computer USB ports.

by fish1552

I had a faulty power button, i tried taking out the battery and connecting to my usb, bad move, probably not the best advice, my phone is now stuck in the startup display procedure.

I really liked my galaxy nexus when it was working but i have only had the phone four months and it's already broken, very disappointed with my galaxy.

I have had my Nexus for 4 months and I could not start my phone. The start button did just not respon. I tried the: out with the battery, plug the phone to the computer and a so called "beep" did not happen, and it turned on by it self and did not turn off at all.

This is my solution:

1. Once it's on- try to copy all your files to gmail or external hdd.

2. Go to settings.

2. System resore.

3. Done.

That is the instruction I've got from the service desk. It's not the best solution, but it works :/

@ Evanswe - system restore does NOT work - now my power button is non-functional and I've lost everything on my phone.

by Heather

You can install the app "Fix Broken Power Button" - replaces volume button as power button etc. Works fine (albeit a nuisance that the power button remains dead)

How are you going to install anything if it doesn't power on to begin with?

by John Ta

I have had the Nexus S for over 1.5 years and so far I have had a very good experience using it. However, last week my power button stopped working. I tried the solutions mentioned on this post as well as those available on other websites. However, none really worked.

Finally, here is how I solved the problem using apps available on Google Play.

a. I downloaded the switchoff app from Google Play which allows me to switch off the screen without pressing the power button, and I have placed this app on the home screen - so I no longer need the power button to turn off the screen.

b. I downloaded another app from Google Play called MagicLocker which basically overrides the default lock screen. The good part about this app is that when your phone's screen is off, you can use the volume buttons to turn the screen on and reach the MagicLocker lock screen. So now, you don't really need the power button to turn the screen on.

Hope this is of some help to you all.

- Varun Khurana.

ANSWER!!!!!!!!!

Its the button itself that goes bad.. problem is.. its soldered on the motherboard.. this place fixed mine in less than an hour and i paid $80. Better than paying my insurance deductable and all my info stayed the way it was.. they even said if they cant fix it.. I wont have to pay for it!!

CELLFONE MD

7708 w. belmont

chicago il 60634

773-625-2800

there was a guy Chris that helped me out.. i guess ask for him!

Cheers,

David

you can buy NEW POWER BUTTON with 1.5$, if any one Interested, call me www.facebook.com/muneeb.yousaf.10

by Muneeb76

Katzz thank you this fixed my issue with not only turning on but also my phone was not able to be connected by the usb cable.

Awesome. :) :)

Actually i heard a beeping sound twice and then i put the the battery immediately..still not working.

by Otaku Mode

I tried the computer thing several times with neither beeping nor success.

On my last try, I realized my computer wasn't plugged in, and on a whim, I tried again with the computer charging.

Other notes: don't disconnect the phone from the cable before putting the batter back in. So you should follow this order:

1. take out battery

2. plug phone into laptop

3. put battery back in

4. Press on

5. Only then did I unplug the phone. You might be able to unplug it after putting the battery in but that's not what I did so I wouldn't try to wander from the path.

Hopefully these tips help

Good luck! and when your contract expires… get an iPhone

Same thing has been happening to me since Jelly Bean update last year(beginning of 2012) and yesterday my power button just completely stopped working(really annoying!)

I found an easy way to use the volume button to turn on the screen without the fix-it button app(I think that's what it's called)

1. go to settings

2. click on security and remove your screen lock(or else it doesn't work)

3. go back to settings

4. click on display

5. click on sleep

6. decide which option on sleep you want(15sec.,30sec.,1min.....)

7. when your screen becomes black(goes to "sleep") press on the volume button and there you go

I hope this helps:)

Same issue with my Galaxy y

And this worked for me

Thankz a LOt

Thank you so much for this! Just saved me having to send my Samsung Galaxy Fame away to get fixed :) It didn't beep though, just came up with battery charging screen when I put the battery in, but when I held in the power button then it turned on :D

I have a new Samsung Galaxy Centura (StraightTalk / Tracfone, purchased at Walmart Dec2013).

I discovered that it doesn't want to power on when it is plugged into my laptop's USB port for charging (not sure if it makes a difference, but battery charge was below 10% prior to charging). It only shows the battery charging display.

I used to have an old iPhone prior to this Samsung, and with the iPhone I used to have to wait for approx 5 mins when charging a nearly depleted battery before the phone was usable again. (BTW, this was very annoying if the phone died in the middle of an important call due to a low battery.) At first I assumed that the Samsung was exhibiting a similar behavior.

With the Galaxy I have discovered that the power on function (when charging) seems to work "when it wants to". (...my success rate has been approx 1 out of 10.)

MY SOLUTION (seems to work consistently for me thus far) is to simply unplug the phone's charging cord, and then press the power on button.

With this method the phone powers on 1st time every time.

Once the phone is working I then plug it back in to resume charging.

I'm hoping that this solution persists. (& I hope this simple solution suggestion helps someone else.) :-)

Same thing just happened to me on my Samsung Galaxy SII. After trying the katzz solution (which didn't work - no beep) and trying a new battery which showed a better charge but the phone still would not turn on, I saw the tip from BHARATH RAJU about holding down the volume down and side on/off button together and my phone re-started as if it had been switched off (which I never do). So all is now well - for the time being at least...

OMGGGG!! Mine is galaxy pocket and it worked!! AMAZINNG!! THANK YOUUUU

February 6, 2014 - I have a Samsung Nexus which I have been using since 2011.

I've had trouble with my power button for over a year and was told too bad too sad. Get a different phone.

I would have to hold the button in for a long time or pop the battery in and out. Even when the phone was powered on and the screen just wouldn't come on when I pressed the button.

This past week it got terrible and I was tempted to throw the phone until I google looking for a resolve. I found this site.

I popped the battery out and plugged in the USB cable. I wasn't sure if I was just supposed to plug it just into the phone or into my computer as well so I did both. I never heard the computer beeping noise but the resolve ACTUALLY WORKED!

Surprisingly when I contact the company they never heard of this problem before. I suggested they start checking the internet for complaints with their phones.

THANK YOU!

Well... Ive tried these solutions and im not sure if its me not doing the procedures right, but its not working for my phone...

If the power button doesnt work please go to settings> on the phone then go to SECURITY > SCREEN LOCK > Click on it go to NONE. now your phone when ever it gets screened out press the volume button and your screen will come up. i did this and am still using the same option on Samsung Google Nexus S. i hope it works on your phone , God Bless! ---- Rev. Chris.

How can I go to Settings, as the phone does not turn on? My power button just decided to quit and I'm finding all these ideas so helpful! :)

by Gwyneth

my power button stopped working so i connected my samsung google nexus s to charger to on the screen.but now my mobile is not turning on even on conecting it with charger.how to fix it?

is the battery dead?

When I Plug my phone into the computer, I get no beeping sound. Although when I put in the battery, it just comes up with the screen saying it is charging the last bar. Does the phone have to be fully charged for it to work? Thanks

my samsung galaxy ygts5360 just showing me samsung galaxy yong gts5360 after reebooting it i just get sad and my phone just get stuked on restarting display please help mee

i tried the same thing but nothing happen is there any other way for samsung galaxy note?

This works for my GNex, however, only if the battery is under 50% charged. It just died (somebody knocked it off the charger and the battery fell out) and I need to start it back up. It is fully charged. I wonder how long it will take to discharge the battery. :( So much sad. I need this phone for work and can't get a new phone for a couple more months (I'm spoiled on Nexus phones. No fuss, and they always seem to work without having loads of crap preloaded. I never have the time to load a custom rom, especially on my main work phone).

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G for Verizon Wireless and none of the methods suggested elsewhere in this thread worked for me, but the general approach is viable. Here are the exact steps I take to reliably cause my phone to power on.

1. Remove back cover to expose battery but do not remove battery.

2. Plug phone into any power source.

3. Watch screen: First, a battery icon with a lightning bolt in the center will appear. Then the screen will go briefly blank, and a battery icon that shows itself filling up will appear.

4. Wait a few frames of the animation, until the icon is full or nearly full, and briefly remove the battery, then reinsert it. The total time out should only be 1 second or so.

5. The battery icon should stay "stuck" at the frame of the animation which showed when the battery was physically removed. It may flicker a bit.

6. After about 10-15 seconds, the phone should power on.

I'm not really sure why this works in general, or why these particular steps are required for my phone, but if anyone is having trouble, please try it.

Only one that worked for me. Thanks!

by snowboardsamurai

I use smartphone and i use this method. 1. Remove back cover to expose battery but do not remove battery. 2. Plug phone into any power source. 3. Watch screen: First, a battery icon with a lightning bolt in the center will appear. Then the screen will go briefly blank,and i waited for few seconds its still blank and showing a red small circle at the top of my phone...plzz help

by Otaku Mode

I've had my Samsung Nexus for years. The power button stopped working for a few months then started up again. It's been off for months and I've moved to a previous phone. It worked fine for a few months now I can't get it to charge or power on. I've tried to take the battery and plug it into the computer as people have suggested. The battery charging icon came up for a short time then disappeared again. Does that mean that it is working or do I need to try something else? If so does anyone have other ideas on how to get it going again? Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Thanks Katzz and mackenzie.

Here is what i tried.

1. Took the battery out

2. connected my phone to Laptop using usb. No beep. it just showed charging

3. Then put the battery back with the USB still connected

4. No luck

Then i referred Mackenzie's approach and connected power cable to my laptop and repeated the above 4 steps, IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!!

- Thanks both

Oh my God!.. Oh My God!!!! Lol" It worked! I've been trying to turn my phone on all night, I did what you said and it really worked. but, when I press the power button again not to power it off but to save battery use, my phone wont turn off. Any ways, Thank you so much Isaya!!!

THANKS A LOOOOOT ISAYA!! it worked for me as well :D

guys my phone samsung galaxy trend plus power doesnt work..pls help me out!!!

I have iball andi.

My power button is not working and when i tried connecting the mobile using usb it is not showing any charging bar or something.

It is not showing anything.Plz help me out.

email id: super.brats@yahoo.in

the red phone botton

my galaxy pop s5570 power switch not working

when i trie ur solution thats not working

non of those worked for me the screen wont turn on idk wat to do pweez help me XP

Hi! I have an Alcatel OneTouch Glory 2 and I am also having a problem with my power button.. I tried doing the steps I found here but sadly it didn't work on mine. does anyone here know what to do with my kind of phone? Thank you!

my power button wasn't working for my samsung galaxy ace - one of the several problems I've had with this phone - and it switched off (by itself) and I could not turn it on. I tried some of the methods that other users of the same phone had success with. Sadly these did not work on my phone. I had pretty much given up hope by the time I came across this webpage. The phone model being discussed was different but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

I followed Katzz's suggestion and it worked brilliantly! At first the battery sign came up and I resigned myself to looking at more suggestions but then the screen lit up and my phone finally turned on.

Thank you SO much Katzz!!!!! :)

isaya thanks a ton!!!

it didnt work for me at all.

Power Button to Volume Button:

If your Android's power button is broken then this app is for you!

With this really nifty app running on your Android, you can use the volume button instead of the power button to wake up your device!

Please note that you may experience a power drain on the battery. This comes with the territory of keeping your device awake at all times in order to enable the volume button to perform the power button function. With recent updates to the Android operating system - this is the only way to do it.

If this app is run without the screen off setting, then the long term behavior of this app becomes unpredictable, as it is subject to the operating system's whims to reclaim memory. We recommend that you enable the 'screen off in notification bar' feature if you plan to use the app for long periods of time.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...

my samsung galaxy s' power button is not working too..and i can't fix it in any of the solutions posted..heeelp!!

my samsung glaxy power button is working .. but when it gets on i wont get the home screen there.. it's been stucked in the process of turning on ... what to do ???plz plz plz help me

I want to try this but I think my phone is completely drained. I got the Samsung Galaxy S1 as a hand-me-down phone and the previous owner (a friend) had no issues with charging, etc but just the on/off button. I charged it to 70% yesterday but today the phone refuses to turn on and every time I plug it in (wall-charger/laptop/power bank), it'll give me the grey battery and then turn to the charging one with a sliver of green power but then shut off. I tried taking the battery out and plugging it in to my computer but I hear no beeps and putting the battery in and trying to turn it on yields no results.

HELP! Thank you

I had Google nexus i9250 last night I was watching movies suddenly my mobile gone switch of and still it's not working I tried all but it won't turn on I tried to rest but no button is working PlZ help

i hv samsung galaxy GTS 7582. My phone was having trouble with the lock/power key. Today my phone got off due to low battery its being charged but its not getting on. I have tried above methods but no use. My battery sign appears even it shows 100% charged but by removing the battery or by replacing it back or waiting for few seconds didnt do any good to it. Now please tell me what to do?

Phew! Had to sweat it out a lot, and by a lot I mean a LOT! Tried the permutations and combinations of the above-mentioned methods to finally switch on my device.

Katzz's method seemingly worked for most of the 'victims' but for me it somehow didn't. Isaya's solution worked for around 60% times. Rest of the times, it was just me doing trial-and-error.

But thanks to both of you for providing the fix and helping the people out here in general.

My solution: If Katzz's or Isaya's solution didn't work for you and if you have some patience, do some P&C around their solutions. Monkeying around charging, USB, battery placement and continually torturing the Power button worked for me. Not sure how effective would that be for you :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250M.

Samsung intensity II is what i have. Power button won't work! this is after a week in rice after being dropped in the toilet. :) works fine, except i turned it off last night and i won't turn on again! help?

when i open my boot menu of samsung galaxy ace ...when click on formatting its not working only taking time but no response

SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE 2 GT 18160

Try this,

1. remove batt then put batt

2. press vol down and home , then plug USB ( this act like down + home + power)

or do some combination if this wont work

tried by me, now my phone rock on again

Thanks all so so much for the great solutions. Just want to share what I did after 3 hours non-stop trying and finally fixed my Samsung Nexus power button issue. Hope it could give some ideas to those who still have this problem.

1) Connect phone with USB cable to the computer

2) Take out battery

3) Press the volume down and power button at the same time AND put battery back in

4) keep USB cable plugged

5) phone charging and battery status will flash on screen for multiple times; keep USB cable plugged

6) keep pressing the Volume down button AND power button together for about 10 seconds, the phone finally powered on.

Repeat steps 1) to 6) for several times if needed. It took me multiple times to finally power on my phone.

Once my phone is powered on, I immediately download the app “Volume Unlock Power Button Fix” from Google Playstore to be able to turn on/off screen without power button. This app is the easiest one to use after I tried several other apps:

- turn off screen by pulling the app from notification bar and click “Turn off screen”. You need run the app and place the app on notification bar which is easy.

- turn on screen by using the volume buttons.

So now, you don't need the power button to turn the screen on/off.

The other nice app to turn off screen easily is called “switchoff” which allows to switch off the screen by pressing the app (placed on home screen) without pressing the power button. But I could not figure out a way to turn on the screen with same app.

Best of the luck!

Plug it into ure computer until it turns on!!!:)

sorry but you need to learn some grammar, like seriously.

by Jessica Burchett

the screen is blank I am very angry because the switch is break and mobile felt in water please inform me how does it works(:-)

help me pls!!!!my samsung google nexus i9020 power button is spoilt and ow i cant switch iton.i tried isaya and katzz methods but sil dun use..help me

if you could, get a sharp object such as a knife, and ever so carefully try to go around the edges of the button to get any gunk out then if you take of the beck you will see 2 screws at the top and 2 on the bottom they should be at the corners, unscrew and you should have access to the power button from the inside you will then notice that you can scrape anything off. Well, that fixed my phone im not so shure that it will work for yours. thanks, Jessica

my phone wont come on but before it going off it began to show differentt colour lines and then it went off ...... Now it wont come on PLEASE HELP ME

How to open phone without Power Button and Volume button??

I Tried the method of

1. take out battery

2. plug phone into laptop/Computer

3. put battery back in

still not working please Help

any Ideas?? T_T

My phone is Smart Phone MyphoneAguaStorm

pls am using Samsung galaxy sgh-i717 at&t and the power went off i try all procedure and the phone will not power on. even when i connect my charger no sign of charging. please how can i flash it back to life. my e-mail is masaada99ad@yahoo.com pls help me

by razak masaada

Booh1 will be eternally grateful.