Model A1059 or A1099 / 20, 40, or 60 GB hard drive / touch sensitive click wheel

Shows a sad face icon and wont turn on.

I was listening to my iPod classic in the car and picked a song and it crashed. Ironically it was Sweet Dreams. But anyways now it shows a sad face icon. I tried resetting it dozens of times and it makes this annoying weird sound and keeps on resetting and resetting even when I don't press a button. I'm selling it on eBay. I hope to fix it by tommorow but I'm not sure exactly how to fix it. HELP PLEASE!!!

Ok. Thanks for the help.

Tronfan007, not sure about the weird sound, but I would try and place it in disk mode and see if you can access the drive from there. Without further information, it does sound like a bad hard drive. Of course, try to see if iTunes can find your iPod and try a restore if it does.

Most Helpful Answer

This might sound crazy but does work.

Get a pad of paper or a magazine, Hold the iPod back down and smack it 3-6 times down firmly. Its a stuck hard drive and this will fix it for a while. It may come back but do the same each time, I recommend getting a replacement HDD but this will work for the meantime.

Thanks, Matthew. I hope this helps you out :)

Matthew thank you soooooo much. I thought the smacking method was a joke but it actually worked perfectly. love it.

First try to enter into disk mode and connect to itune. If you stuck on not disconnect, hold down the menu and center button to reboot and disconnect the cable when the apple logo appear.

if you can't enter in disk mode, open the ipod and disconnect the hard drive cable for 5 minutes. Reconnect and try to open it.

You could have trouble if the battery is very low...

Tronfan007 will be eternally grateful.