0

Matthew
11

Solutions as to why my MacBook Pro won't power on?

Earlier today I was using my MacBook Pro and was getting irritated at how hot it was getting underneath even at idle. It was running fine and has been ever since I purchased it.

After reading up on reasons as to why the computer would be excessively heating, I figured an inside cleaning would do the computer some good. Following iFixit's guide for takedown, I was able to clean the dust out of my MacBook Pro. I only went as far as removing the logic board so I could wipe the dust out of the bottom of the case. The fans were pretty dusty as well, I took care of it.

As a note, I didn't use a wet cloth, I just took a paper towel and folded it into a small square being careful I didn't touch anything but the case. The dust in the fans I blew out with a can of air; only after disconnecting.

Upon putting the components back together, reversing each step in the guide; the MacBook Pro will not power back on. I've checked each cable to make sure it was properly connected about 5 times over...nothing.

I've tried to reset SMC.

I've held down CMD+CTRL+Power.

I've checked each cable.

The only cable I can really think of that would be a problem is the flex ribbon cable for the keyboard. It doesn't seem to "lock" into place, but rather sit there. It's being held in by the bracket.

Anyways, I'm freaking out here hoping it's not the logic board, but I fear the worst. The charger light comes on, the battery charging indicator works; even with the button press. However, it's just unresponsive when I press the power button.

Edited by: Matthew ( )

4

TommyJames337

Look at all of your cables (especially the keyboard ribbon cable) and make sure that there are no tears in them. They could be so small that you can hardly see them, but it could be causing the problem.

The power button is connected to the logic board through that keyboard ribbon, so it would be very important to check it and its connection again. I am skeptical about that connection of yours. It should quite obviously slide into the connector and then lock down with the bracket. You shouldn't be able to pull the ribbon out when the bracket is locked down.

If it still doesn't seem to be working, if you have the means, you could theoretically extract the hard drive, boot another Mac from it, and set it to schedule a boot-up at a certain time. Then, when you place your hard drive back into your MacBook Pro, it should turn on by itself at that scheduled time without needing the press of the power button, and you can see for yourself whether the keyboard connection is good or not. Does that make sense? If you want to try this method, let me know if you'd like more detailed instructions.

By the sounds of it, though, your logic board should be just fine if you were careful enough. It's the keyboard ribbon cable that's getting me. Also, based on the other functions of the MacBook Pro, it sounds quite hopeful and probable that your logic board does still work.

Good luck with this! I have faith that this will be solved without the replacement of your logic board!

I opened it back up and checked the cable, stupid ME! I forgot to lock the arm back into place! So this whole time I've been just sticking it in without attempting to lock it. I got it plugged back in and it's working now, however, it wont work on the 65w charger, I have to use the 80w. Second, the battery is totally unresponsive now. Hmm...I bet I zapped the battery beyond it's charge point while messing around. No worries, at least I know the logic board and hard drive are good. I did an SMC reset with no change, I'll find another battery and pop it in. To say the least, you solved my problem. I appreciate your prompt reply! I can't thank you enough, my friend.

Matthew,

It's my pleasure, Matthew! Best of luck with your battery!

TommyJames337,

Thanks for the tip about the keyboard cable. That's what was wrong with mine. Reseated and worked like a charm!

Tom Coleman,

0

Alex Robson
11

I removed the battery on my mid 2009 model to clean the track pad it 13.3" MBP 2.26GHz and when I put the track pad and battery back it won't turn on now dim green light on MagSafe and no light at all on the battery indicator

0

Nanz
1

the same thing as Permalink happened to me except my charger light is not coming on when I plug it in and no power from the macbook pro at all..............and I checked the cable ....help

It's very difficult to diagnose a power problem like the one you're having without isolating every part. It could be that the MagSafe board in your Mac failed, it could be that the logic board was damaged, it could be that your power adapter is dead, etc. It is also not possible to suggest a solution without knowing the history of what happened to your Mac. Did you spill any liquid on it? Did you only go in to clean the trackpad like Alex Robson did? A little more information would help. :) Hopefully your problem can be solved easily and inexpensively, but power problems can be tough!

TommyJames337,

0

Nanz
1

Thanks for your reply! Here's some history- I went in to clean the trackpad because it was going crazy (clicking all over moving without me controlling it etc). I read on the net that that may happen if the tension screw is too tight or if its dirty etc....so I decided to give it a shot. When I had the trackpad disabled and I used an external mouse every thing was fine...but I wanted to fix the trackpad problem. So I went in removed the battery (battery wasnt swollen) cleaned the trackpad with a Qtip loosen the screw a bit and when I opened the comp to test it (with the back still off) the track pad was working great so I closed everything back up. When I did that the track pad started spazzing out again so I opened it back up and tried to wipe it a little more or loosen the screw a bit more and then when I closed it up and flipped it over I realised that the power cord light was off...........strange....I clicked the power on button....no response... I unplugged, tried a different charger, took out the battery and put it back in tried again etc......nothing worked....it seems as though something was disconnected in the process but idk what that could possibly be...? (btw no spills or falls)..

Hmmm.... That is very strange. You sure you never accidentally hit the logic board with a screwdriver while you were working on it? At the point when you say "when I closed it up and flipped it over I realised that the power cord light was off," it sounds to me like you left the computer plugged in the whole time you were working on it. That's a really bad idea. Any stray screwdriver hits could have shorted out the board and damaged some parts. (I know from experience. I've done it a couple times). You should never work on a computer while the battery or the power adapter are plugged in. Not only is it a hazard to work on live electronics for the person doing it, but it is also dangerous for the computer. Even if you never touched the logic board with the screwdriver while you were working on it, simply closing it up at the end while it was still plugged in could have caused the problem. The metal bottom case piece may have shorted something out. :| Did you ever see a spark or smoke?

TommyJames337,

0

Nanz
1

Yea I did have it plugged in most of the time because I wanted the computer to stay on so I could check to see if the track pad was working (prob should have unplugged it). There were not any sparks and I did smell the keyboard to see if anything accidentally got fried but I didnt smell any smoke/burning. I took it to fix and they have no idea whats wrong with it so they are suggesting that I just buy a new logic board....... :(