iPhone 4

Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

My phone is not able to make or receive calls, why?

Despite being connected to the network, I am unable to make calls or receive calls on my iPhone 4.

When I try to make a call, the phone immediately shows "call failed" even without any ringing.

When others call my number, they report that my phone is 'disconnected.'

I am able to send and receive SMS messages, but no calls. What is wrong? How can I correct this? I am lost without the use of my phone.

Try dialing *#31#

by Lcv

I had problem send calls tried the *#31# wow and it worked perfectly

by Aloysius Buadi

Thanks a lot !! Dailing *#31# helped . I have been struggling through this problem since 10 months . Thanks a lot

by riya sharma

Thank you it worked! :) Here I thought I ruined my phone after I repaired the audio compiler chip.

by macyparayno07

It wouldn't let me call *#31#

by becky whitlow

If you have your phone connected to a wireless network in your house, that could be why you can still text, as that will go through the home network first, if connected.

The first thing I would do is connect my phone to my computer, bring up iTunes, back up the phone, and then RESTORE it. I had to do this to mine last night. If that works, great. If not, let us know and we can go from there. Good luck!

I did what you suggested, but it made no difference. what should I do to get it back in working condition?

Connectivity is important to me

by Coomi

have you checked with your phone provider that the bills are paid etc? also have you tried taking SIM out and cleaning/reseating? This may be a SIM problem or an antenna problem.

by pollytintop

Please try to take out your SIM card and clean it then restart your iphone. I had the same problem and tried that solution and luckily it worked

by topez81183

Try dialing *#31#

by Lcv

This works! Thanks!

by Ayra Due

It is probably because you have not bought it from a local carrier. Otherwise, you can try to keep the power button and the selection button downwards pushed at the same time up until the iPhone turns off and then on again. It will erase all the temporary files.

It was my wife's iphone4 that wouldn't receive or send a call, and everything is in Thai, which made it difficult to hopeless for me to figure out. I thought we were going to have to ride the public transportation in the back of the bus/pickup truck into Chiang Rai 20 miles away to get it fixed. Followed your instructions here and it began to work right. Thanks a lot for the information.

by lettsed

This will only work for sprint users,

1. Turn you wifi on and connect

2. Then go to your phone dialing pad and dial ##873283# then hit the dial button

3. You will get a screen that pops up sorry I don’t recall what it said then hit ok, you should get a second screen that pops up and hit ok, if you get a fail then you are not connected to a wifi

4. then try making a call if it doesn’t go through then go to the settings>celluar>turn cellular data off and back on (I had to do this step and it worked for me) then try to make a call

The explanation I got was I had to reconnect my calling connection with a tower, hope this helps

by idiva0425

Whoever you are! Thank you so much!

by parislucius

thank you idiva0425. i searched everywhere and this was the only advice that helped. I have Virgen Mobile which uses Sprint I believe.

by psalazarcarmona

I have sprint and idiva0425's advice worked for me too. Thank you!

by Martha Wach

Those having issues with making/receiving phone calls go through these steps if you need help with understanding how to do a reset and if all else fails a DFU mode reset, I can assist. I am Apple Certified and have access to all service guides.

1Verify that your carrier name appears in the status bar, at top left of the display.

2Turn Airplane mode on, wait for the to appear in the status bar, and then turn it off again.

3Reset Network Settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

4If your iPhone is in a case, try removing it to ensure that the case isn't interfering with the cell signal strength.

If these dont work, Contact your carrier to find out the following:

-If you are in an area with network coverage.

-If there is a network outage.

-The account is properly configured to your phone.

Try to restore your phone and set it up as new.

If the above does not work try this Apple Support Article on Troubling a No Service Iphone.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4429

Let me know if this works.

Thanks, this worked for me. :-)

by Soph

This worked for me first time, thank you.

by helen

Worked for me, thank you

by mary black

i have done all of these and fook all is working. i really REALLY need my phone. it is my business line and im desperate !!!!!

by kellybee15987

Thanks this not worked for me.

by H Gabi

Hi,all you need to do is toggle Settings>general>phone

See that the Show caller Id to on.

If your phone is jail broken,go Cydia search and install CALLER ID SBSETTINGS ,toggle CALLER ID TO ON.

REBOOT!

It simply worked for me.

I am having the same problem, but caller ID setting didn't worked for me. do you have any other solution, for this problem. I think it is some hardware issue, because my SIM card is working properly in other phone sets. Any solution?

Mine was doing this for 2 days. I had to turn it off and on 3 times and it finally started working again. Weird

by Robin

Ii have got an I phone 4s I just gone and bought at 10 top up and its not letting me make calls or revise calls I can't ring the top up it goes straight off as I tried to ring and it not doing anything

I have the same problem. I am unable to make or receive calls or send or receive texts. My data plan works. I have contacted my service provider and they were unable to assist me. I have the iphone 4 operating on 7.0.3. I would appreciate any help as I am currently unable to communicate.

I have the same problem with purple panda.

no call or receive call, no texts but data works.

any sugguestions guys?

my phone had water damage - sent to repair shop and they said it wasn't fixable but a month later everything is working except the ability to make a phone call or receive one. I am getting twitter notices so there is a connection, I'm able to use the camera and transfer the pictures from the phone to my computer, and the touch screen works fine. When I go to make a call and touch the phone number I get nothing. If I type in the number on the number pad it makes the noise with each number but when I click to connect the call, nothing. Help! I love my Iphone 5S and don't want to replace it.

Good day. I also have a problem. Accept and send messages without any problems. I call my friends but I can not call. How is this possible?

Blow compressed air onto the phone and parts of phone that are for sound (input/output). Worked for me!

Thank you so much. Resetting the network settings helped.:)

Doss it not &&^& your phone up does it still keep you carrier what does it do

by chloe321

just throw away the i phone and buy an android so that you can make calls, after all that is the main purpose of a phone. i too have an iphone 4 and same problem .

my s4 has this same problem..i first put pressure on the audio chip ..it worked..then I stopped...then I put more pressure on the chip...it worked then it stopped...then I took back off made a call put pressure on the sims it worked...then it stopped..then it acted all weird where I had no control over it....so I did a factory reset...it works now...I noticed tho when I download my banking app it acts weird so I have not installed this after the factory reset...so im just totally scratching my head on this one..is it the sims not making the connection? is it the audio chip? is it the speaker not making a connection or is it an app? I will eventually chuck this phone but looks to me like lots of diff os and carriers for a phone have very same problem....

by Maryedel7

i had problem once again...this time i put pressure on all the connectors by putting thick tape on the s4 plastic bezel that covers all the connectors...its been 3 days working now

by Maryedel7

Hi I did the all ways what I read it here but still cant make and receive calls every other things working on Iphone 5s.

In my case the issue was with the sim card and not the phone. So try with a different sim card.

I am going to try to get a standard sims from my carrier see if that has a better fit in sims tray

by Maryedel7

I have the same problem with my iphone 6, can't make or receive calls nor text anyone and now i'm trying your solutions, hoping they fix my phone

Guys, I barely need your help. I also can't make outgoing calls apparently I can receive calls. Can someone help me please? Iphone5 user here.

I had the same problem, after updating my iPhone 4S to IOS 9.2.1 i could only receive calls when connected to 3G signal.

After looking at all my settings, it turns out that the new update changed my "Do Not Disturb" settings to only receive calls from those in my contacts favorite list.

the way to sort this out is to: Go to Settings - Do Not Disturb - Allow Calls From. Check to make sure its set to Everyone. having done this, my phone know receives calls from everyone, regardless of internet connection.

Help this Helps

This will only work for sprint users,

1. Turn you wifi on and connect

None of these solution working for me.try *#31# also not working.carrier selection manual working only for 30 seconds.call forwading and caller id trick also not working.frustrated with apple now!

Coomi will be eternally grateful.