First generation Apple iPad with Wi-Fi, available with 16, 32, or 64 GB. Model Number A1219. Repairs are straightforward and do not require heat.

Dropped iPad and now display is not working correctly.

I dropped my iPad and now part of the top half (when holding it with the button on the bottom) is black except for a few colored lines. What do I need to do/replace to fix it?

I dropped my ipad2 and the screen started flickering in red. Rebooting and resetting did not help. After residing this forum, I figured what the !@#$ and took it into my home office, held it about 6 inches from the desk, and banged it one time flat on the back. It corrected it instantly and has worked fine since. Can not believe it!

Thanks for the help, led display randomly went red and fuzzy while I was using it as I do everyday, after hitting the back of the ipad it worked fine, thanks again for the advice.

its not working for me

O.M.G! You guys ROCK! My son accidentally knocked our ipad 2 off the top of his loft bed, about 6 feet from the carpet. The screen had power, but just barely. The screen was black, but when I'd push the home button it would light up just a TINY bit & then go black again. He cried, offered up any & ask $ he has. I tried pushing power & home button to no avail. Thought about connecting it to the computer, & finally decided to try hitting the back of it with the ipad facing up. After taking it out of its cover, I nervously gave it a slight whack-nothing. Kept shacking it a little harder each time & after about the 5th Perry hard whack---BOOM!!! Lit right up! Thanks s bunch ~ my sin will be thrilled when he wakes up in the morning! Merry Christmas to us! :)

Oh my goodness! My son dropped his weeks ago and I've tried everything until today. I dropped it on a solid wood coffee table three times, pressed the home button and Whhhaammmmyy! It works! My son danced around the room! Thanks!!

Most Helpful Answer

I gave mine a hard slap on the underside and the screen flickered back to life, couldn't believe it.

Wow, excellent tip.

I had some strange coloured lines on the brightest highlights of pictures and videos.

A few slaps on the underside and everything went back to normal.

Thanks I cannot believe it my husband dropped his on a wooden floor......nothing completely dead.....took it to the apple store....cost £269 ....oh that's too much brought it home and I took my sons shoe and walloped it hard about 5 times on the apple sign at the back......I just cannot believe it, absolutely flabbergasted it is working perfectly

Thank you x

My son ws using the ipad thn after sometime he close it n keep it down fr charging n sit fr his studies later on he came back the ipad ws nt working ...no dropping no sign of hanging nothing just not opening ....plz advice immediately wht to do im worried.....

Thanks so much!! Thought it was dead forever after dropping 8 inches off the coffee table and slid thru my hand. But, this morning I held it flat, screen down, on my left hand and gave it a few good whacks on the back of it with my right hand and the screen came right on! Woooooo hood!!! :)

I work in a school using student BYOD iPads. I've made several students (and their parents I guess) very happy using this technique. Thank you very much.

Screen went black and white with grey scrolling after transporting my gfs ipad gen 2 on the plane. Must have got a slight impact at worst. Read the posts on this site. Button combinations to urn on , turn off, reset, whatever just didn't work. Hard palm of hand whack couple of times didn't work. Dropped about a foot on wooden dining table. Hit sleep button after couple of minutes and it burst back to life. Relieved that screen didn't crack. No telling how long it will stay working for. Happy for now. :-)

I had the same thing happen. My son's ipad has been roughed up before but the otter box saved it. The last fall did the ipad in. It had a scrolling white bar on a grey background. I was about to give up and came across this post on google. I took the ipad out of the otter box and did the drop slam and had more white bars and static. I did the drop slam again and the ipad came back to life. There are a few thin lines on the display but it works. Beats the price of a new tablet.

-- Update --

As of 8/2/2014 from my original post, I want to say that the IPad is 100% operational still today. All the lines disappeared on the screen shortly after the fix. I like to see others finding this post and commenting on their success. All the credit goes to AVI, May 8, 2012 (From what I can tell, they are the earliest answer) for answering this post and saving all of us a trip to either repair or buy new IPads.

Omg it worked. I could just kiss you all right now

Thank You! I hit the back about 5 times and the ipad came right back on as normal. Just in time for our 18 hour road trip. Thank you!

My granddaughter dropped my iPad and I thought all was lost. I decided to look it up online and came across this blog. The pad had blue lines, couldn't see anything. I laid it down on the bed and whacked it on the back and it came back. All is not lost. Thank you so much!!!!

Thank you guys ..... I had lost hope but it worked ....I drop my iPad on its back about two feet and it worked .............the display is fine ......

My son dropped his iPad, screen went black, nothing worked to fix it. Came across this post, whacked the iPad on the desk a few times, smacked the back ...nothing. Finally we thought, what the heck, threw on the floor 3 times, like magic we are back in business. Thanks so much!!!

It would be worth in the first instance checking the cable from the LCD to the main board is attached properly at both ends, if it is you will need a new LCD [as long as the digitiser itself isn't cracked]

The LCD/screen itself is the same for the wi-fi and 3g versions, it is just the digitiser that is different between the two with the 3g version having an additional antenna for the 3g.

hope you get it sorted

This is great my screen was half scrolling black with with white lines. I went to the Emax stores and they gave a complicated diagnosis part of which i was told i must have dropped it and the screen was broken. It was to cost me 200 aed for diagnosis and another hefty sum for repair. I decided to google and when i found this tip i just dropped the ipad on to a wooden table with the screen facing up and then i saw some diagrams which were rectangle. i pressed on the off button for one minute and the my i pad came to life i saw the apple sign and now its working fine. Thanks for this tip it worked for me and saved me lots of waiting time .

Happened to me, but I fixed it using an hammer, as seen in this video:

http://www.miniipad.com/how-fix-ipad-iph...

simple solution at no cost :-)

Same thing happened to my daughter...took it to Apple and the said it could not be fixed and they'd give us $30 for it!!! Of course we declined. 2 months later I found Q&A on this iFixit app and VOILA! I did the hard pound on my nightstand and just came right back to life and FULLY functioning:) I'm pretty techy and it did actually cross my mind to do this but at the time, I lacked the guts to do it. Thanks for giving me the courage and inspiration.

'''Unreal! Thank you so much! Same story...Apple wanted $255 as estimate for repair. One hard whack and it's as good as new!

Wow!

'''

Brilliant! I did this but used a teak dining table top instead of a hammer and a few seconds later normal display service was restored. Thanks very much for saving me a small fortune :-)

Y'all are freaking awesome. Rack up a third victory for the school of hard knocks approach.

Hit it with a hammer??? Are you BS-ing us in our time of despair?

NO! He is not BS-ing!

Well I did not hit it with a hammer but I held it with two hands with the display facing me and the front button down. Then I slammed it pretty hard on a wooden desk. Low and behold it works. When my kids dropped it, they must have broken a solder joint (you can thank the lead-free effort for brittle solder). I am sure it will not hold up but stopped the crying for now.

Display cable loose or small, it is best to replace a brand new LCD

i just say ...

ebay or

http://www.dealrepairs.com/index.php?mai... =

Hi I have fix a lot of issues with ipads and iphones, but this one had me stumped... i tried gently hiting the apple logo to get the screen to flash on. It would light up but would not stay on... I opened it up and to out the lcd and put it right back in... making sure the connection was tight. IT WORKED FOR GOOD. so the issue is a bad connection in my case... that is why the hitting aproach works... Good Luck

try to reconnect the screen

Glory To The iPad Gods

I would not have believed this would work if it didn't. But after the second time I dropped my iPad flat onto the marble counter, it came back to life. Thank you so much!!!

My screen was jumpy and a fuzzy pink color after it dropped about 2 feet on a carpet. After dropping it a few times on hard surface it corrected itself once I dropped it so it hit the side. Happy that others wrote in about this "fix" because I seriously considering investing in a new one!

just get the lightning cable, plug it in, hold home and power buttons and smack it a good couple times until it turns off. Turn it on and disconnect cable while its turning on and wait for it to turn on and it will be fixed

Ultra LOL! That Works!! You guys roooock!

Thanks everyone - your advice did the trick!!! My ipad2 slipped out from under my arm onto kitchen flooring, I didn't think anything of it as its in a hardback thick leather case. But when I went to turn it on, the screen was black with grey lines flickering up and down the screen, was gutted! Tried pressing every button in different orders/together and also plugging it in to charge and nothing! Anyhoo before reluctantly searching for a new ipad to buy, I thought I wonder if this has happened to anyone else, and so I did a search on Google and found this site. I thought, I've got nothing to lose as its knackered anyway, so gave it a few slaps on the back, nothing. Progressed to 1 of my trainers with a few hits, again nothing. So I held it about 1 foot from above my bedroom laminate flooring and dropped it. The screen changed to, what I think was the power off scroll bar, but about 10 of them horizontally all the way down the screen. So I tried to find the real swipe, after a few goes I got the right one, it went off then I pressed the power on button and voila, the screen was back to normal. So Amazed, I never thought that it would work, thanks everyone!!! :)

frediccini will be eternally grateful.