0

iJatrat
1

iPhone 4 won't charge!

Hi, I've got my iPhone 4 for 1 year now and until yesterday it was working perfectly. But yesterday I noticed that it hadn't charged overnight although I had put it for charging. However when I plugged it into my Macbook I could still transfer data. But it was not charging. Instead of the charging(zig-zag line) icon in the battery there was a plug icon on it, showing that it was completely charged. But still it was showing 20%. Since today morning my iPhone is completely dead and will only switch on when I plug it into my wall-charger. As soo as I disconnect it from the charger it switched off and does not tun on anymore.

What do you think, will a battery change fix the problem? Thanks for your help!

Did your phone keep crashing or take longer to charge before this? Is it jailbroken?

pollytintop,

none off the chargers dont seam to work

frances,

still mines not charging

jakeya humphrey,

1

Armald Imeraj
319

It seems to be a dead battery because the USB connector seems OK by what you say!

The iPhone is telling you about it by keeping the powered by outlet icon even if not charging!

After the battery was completely dead I got a screen with connect to iTunes. On that screen it showed me: unknown imei number, when I clicked on that somall infrmation button. Then after 5 minutes the phone started to reboot. Is there more of a problem than just with the battery?

iJatrat,

it sounds like a battery problem..it isn't holding charge/not charging. it will reboot when on itunes as your pc doesn't supply enough output to charge battery while it is trying to send information to the computer..supply is less than demand. swap your battery and then re evaluate.

pollytintop,

2

Old Profile
578
Device Savers

Oh boy this could be a number of issues. I would have to start this with some questions.

When you plug it in does it show the battery charging or blinking?

Must you leave it plugged in for it to function?

Based off the comments above, I would say it is one of 2 thing.

-You need a new battery which is not uncommon for iPhone 5 and below.

-You have a little bit of water damage on the logic board.

-I would normally say charger port to, but you said it was recognizing the charger.

Please send me some answers, I am happy to help!

Great answer to a very old question :-)

Hey i got the same problem it shows the charging sign and turn on the phone but then dead again then shows the battery but would not charge.is it the battery that needs to be changed?

Alisha rani,

1

jakeya humphrey
13

yes but mine still wont charge

what did you try so far?

0

Krayzee
251

honestly i would try the following:

- i would try changing the battery

if that doesnt fix it

-i would change the charging base itself

0

Craig

Change the dock connector the issue happened after the item was plugged and unplugged from a cord. The chances are that it damaged the dock connector pins.

0

Travis
1

So I just had a problem with my iPhone 4 charging. When I plugged it in, it would make the charge jingle but the plug would show up in the battery like it was fully charged (I think it may also show up when charging with unsupported charger) instead of the charging spark (or lightning bolt thing) that usually shows up when charging. Lucky for me I had a spare iPhone battery lying around and swapped it out. This was after I tried turning my phone off multiple times and doing a hard reset, which didn't fix the problem. Anyway, the new battery fixed the problem, and now it charges just fine. Im not sure what was wrong with my old battery, it is a few years old, but it seemed to hold a charge just fine before it just stopped charging. If anyone else has this problem I would recommend trying a hard reset first and then if that doesn't work try swapping the battery before you go messing with the dock connector since it is a lot easier.

what is a hard reset and how do you do that? My son is having the same charging issue. Already bought a new battery and still not showing that it is charging. NEED HELP PLEASE!! THANKS

Lynn,

hard reset: hold down the power and home buttons down at the same time for about 8 seconds or until you see the apple logo on the screen

Alesha,

0

nyonnone
1

Same issue I had. My friend had just replaced her iPhone with a version 5 and two days later needed to download the old iPhone 4 - but somehow the battery completely and utterly failed in those two days - shady...

Anyways, I did a quick search online and found that it's quite easy to avoid the $79 Apple fee and get a new battery online. Overstock dot com sells them as do lots of places (~$12).

iFixit.com doesn't sell the battery, but they sell the iPhone 4 Liberation Kit - which is useful if you don't own a tiny Phillips-head screwdriver. You'll possibly need the pentalobe screwdriver, but not necessarily - check. Even if your external screws are the weird pentalobe-head, the internal battery screw will be tiny Phillips.

Whoa, your information is definitely wrong when you say "iFixit.com doesn't sell the battery, " all you have to do is check on here. It is important to have the right info when answering an almost 2 year old question ;-)

0

Alex Todd
43

The problem could be anything, it could either be water damage or your charging pin could be damaged (Due to any physical or any other type of collision). or it could either be:

Charging Connector is water damaged

Dry solder of connector pin

Pins doesn’t make contact with board

Faulty components.

Anyways here is a blog that has explained this thing in a step by step manner, for you to know how can you overcome this issue, i hope it works for you.

http://blog.brokenlcds.com/iphone-4-char...

0

Copper
7

Try this:

-get a fork

-get a coin

once you got them, place the fork on you IPhone 4 and then place the coin on top of your fork.

once you did that, place your IPhone4 in the sun for electricity, or on a table with sunshine shinning over it and leave it there for about 10 minutes. your phone should be 10% charged. if it doesnt work, you need to go to a mac store for iphones because theres a serious issue

0

Fergie
1

U have to turn the phone completely off let if charge in the off mode for 20 mins. U will receive full charge.

I am going through the same issue. I believe their forcing us to upgrade.

0

Lisa
1

I'm having the same kinda problem with an iPhone 4S

It is appearing that it is charging however it is not gaining any battery

I have reset the whole phone so it's like new changes the charging port and replaced the battery

I have no idea what's wrong

I haven't had it near water so it can't be water damage

Can anyone help?

0

hallbrittany2012
1

i am having the same promblem. mine aint charging but it doesnt show the charger icon. any ideas what is wrong with mine

0

JohnThomasSeever
1

Both my wife and I have an iphone 4 and when the iOS went to 7.1.2 both phones withing 2 weeks stop charging unless they are turned off and will not sync with itunes.

I would love to know what is going on with the phones, cause I do not have the $$$ to get an iphone 5.

This Month: 2,706