another U28 chip issue or...

Ok so my g4 chimes when on button is pressed, blank screen, fan runs - nothing. I was able to get it to start a couple of times and it would run a short time before shutting down. First time it quit after moving it a few inches. second time my g4 quit it showed vertical grey/blue lines, then blank-ish screen. Seemed like it was on but showing a blank screen.

Hoping to not change out the motherboard again (did so earlier this winter) and am game to try soldering the U28. Good candidate?

Buy the illuminated magnifying glass that iFixit sells, and also a Weller WM120 fine-point soldering iron, and some solder paste -- these three items will make the job MUCH easier.

And yes, I would say this is an ideal candidate, i.e. black screen and "fan on high". It certainly can't hurt it.

If you have a old board on hand, go for it, you are at no loss if you can't, I can't even do it without several trial and error with my stockpile of bad motherboards I need to fix sometime(I recently started working on a select few Mac computers, I have a nice stockpile of NVIDIA defect MacBook Pro's, 3 right now, I have found out how to get them from schools(all you have to do is ask and see if the tech can), I am picking up 5 more ones that have the same issue

clay will be eternally grateful.