Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Mac pro shuts down all of the sudden

My mac tends to run hot even though I clean it for dust and keep it on a hard, flat surface when in use. On day it just “clicks” from inside the body and the screen turns black with the noise of power leaving the computer. It won’t turn back on and when I plug in the charger, it vaguely flashes orange/green. After a couple of days of rest, I tried plugging it back in (mac turned off) and it starts charging for a couple of minutes and then stops and back to flashing orange/green. I have tried disconnecting the battery and connecting it again, but no luck.

Anyone who can help? I got the tools for it, so I just need directions.

All the best, Jesper

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

The oscillating MagSafe LED is telling you the battery is gone. Given the systems age that would not surprise me.

Here’s the needed part MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2009-Mid 2012) Replacement Battery and here’s the guide you’ll need to follow MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 Battery Replacement

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2009-Mid 2012) Replacement Battery Image

Product

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2009-Mid 2012) Replacement Battery

$119.99

Great, thanks! I will order a new battery and try it out and let you know!

Could the “gone battery” also explain why the computer was running so hot? Especially outside the body underneath? Or do you think that might be due to a bad fan? I mean the fan is clean and rotates with no problem, but as you said; it is an old system.

MBP Unibody Mid-2012 a1278 is still a great MacBook when paired with a upgraded hard drive (SSD) along with MacOS Mojave.

The computer running so hot would be a software problem. Something is putting too much load on the CPU. You'll need to use activity monitor, look on the CPU tab and find out what's taking up all of the CPU.

Okay. So I ordered a new battery online, it should arrive in a couple of days. Meanwhile I took the “broken” battery and put in an old MacBook Pro 2010 - and it works fine. Charging and everything. Only has 612 cycles (out of aprox 1000) on it. Does this indicate that there might something else wrong with my 2012 Mac Pro? Fried motherboard maybe?

And great with the activity monitor, but the computer won’t start up - not even with the battery taken out.

To be clear: You put the 2009 battery into the 2012 system and visa-versa.

● The 2009 battery didn't change your 2012 system symptoms

● The 2012 battery is running the 2009 and has 612 cycles.

If that's so we do need to look deeper. Was the 2012 battery discharged fully? When you plugged it in to the 2009 when you checked it.

Lets clean the MagSafe connector faces and make sure the pins in the charger are working correctly. Review these Apple T/N Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters and Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook make sure your using the correct charger as well.

Okay, so recap:

MacBook Pro 2012 shuts down. No life, other than the light on the macsafe charger blinking orange. I have taken the battery out and tried plugging in the charger to turn it on without a battery present, still no life and charger blinking orange.

THEN, the battery from the 2012 MacBook Pro fits in my old 2010 version (the 2010 battery is dead, so I am unable to put a new/different battery in my 2012 version until Wednesday).

But putting the 2012 battery, which was completely discharged, in the old MacBook 2010 works fine and it is charging.

I have just tried putting the battery back in the 2012 MacBook Pro (it now has 50% juice) and there is still no life and only the blinking orange light. I am using the same charger for both MacBooks, which is the original MagSafe from my MacBook Pro 2012.

So the charger is working and the pins in my 2012 MacBook Pro seems clean, fine and present.

Jesper Fleckner will be eternally grateful.