Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Why won't my iPhone charge after the battery drained completely?

I went camping recently, and of course my battery drained completely about a day and half in. Once it drained I put it away in my bag.

On the way home, I plugged it into my Griffin iTrip to charge it, and I got nothing - no red battery, no screen flicker. I left it on there for at least a solid hour.

When I get home, I plugged it into a wall charger thinking it just needed more juice. It had been taking a really long time to charge lately, but once it's charged, the battery seems to hold it just fine. I left it on the wall charger for several hours, and I still got nothing.

At this point I tried rebooting it by pressing Home+Power, and I actually see a little flicker - like it's trying to kick over. If I hold them down for about a minute, it will actually keep flickering until finally it shows the dead battery screen, but that will go away in a few seconds or as soon as I unplug it from the wall. I can't get back to it unless I repeat the process from the beginning.

My first thought was the battery, but after reading some posts here, I'm not so sure anymore. It seems like it might be the charge circuitry or the dock connector. It's out of warranty, so I'd like to try fixing it myself. I figure at this point I can't make it any worse.

Is there any way to help pinpoint the cause other than guess and check? If not where should I start? Has anyone seen something similar to this?

I've had the phone for about seven months, but it was a refurbished unit from Apple.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Yesterday out side i tossed my phone t my sister outside and she didn't catch it and it fell and it died all the way and when i got home i charged it and my phone won't turn back on and i charged it overnight and now it's still not working.... I really Need Help?

This is very similar to me, only my Iphone was drained over night. I forgot charging it before I go to sleep. Now it's drained, my charger, based on my observations was not doing its duty to charge my phone only when its drained. It was working still but you can see its operation when my Iphone is not drained. I need an answer for this. Help!

What worked for me was that i took my iphone to a technician and they resolved the problem. Apparently the battery went... It was swelling. Be careful if you desire to use the hair dryer to heat up the battery. I am in Morocco and i had to pay 300dh to get that problem resolved

Those who are facing this problem can contact me through Facebook or Whatsapp. It happens with me alot and I have find the cause and its solution. It's really easy and no need of heating and It's risk free. It works with everyphone, Iphone or android ofcourse, for free :D

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shbshk

Whatsapp: (847) 766-7010

Thanks wiz i just did the "hair dryer thing" and now my phone is charging goodjob

I would suggest first to try another charger! Than by what you say, "It had been taking a really long time to charge lately, but once it's charged, the battery seems to hold it just fine.", the battery seems not to be responsible for this situation! I would suggest to take it at a service point since it is out of warranty. If it really has problems with charging circuits (which are docked to the board) you can't do much on your own.

Thanks for the response! I've definitely ruled out the charger. I've tried the car charger, the wall charger, a PC, a laptop as well as a few different cables. Nothing has worked so far.

I decided to go to a local, family-owned service shop since I couldn't seem to pinpoint the problem myself. They were wiling to diagnose the issue at no cost. The first thing they tried was a new battery, and that immediately did the trick. They then offered to finalize the repair for a very reasonable price. I might have been able to do it myself, but I probably would have spent half of a day trying to get it back together.

It's now happily charging from my wall charger. Thanks for your suggestion!

so battery wasnt the prob? its a dock connector?

this doesnt help me i got mine back last november and is the best and works perfectly. but just now this is happening to mine. its an SE the charger i use worked before and works on my moms so idk what to to.

i had the same problem but i changed the battery yesterday,it works just fine.But then after my brother used it the battery turns to 20%.I left it like that because i was tired.Today i charged it, then go back to sleep.When i woke up i thought its going to be find.But,it wont turn on.Then i used another cable and it works just fine but it took hours.Just now it flicked.Then i asked my sister to check it.Then she unplugged it to try another cable but it wont turn on at all..ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA WHATS GOING ON?BTW I SPENT RM250 TO CHANGE THE FREAKIN BATTERY

Most Helpful Answer

Ok, this is too late to help, but I thought I'd answer anyway in case someone else finds this post whilst searching for the problem. Here's how to fix it:

Lithium batteries have protection against over-discharging, they do this by breaking the circuit if the voltage drops too low to prevent further drain. Unfortunately, once this has triggered, you can no longer put charge back into the battery because the battery is disconnected internally, so no matter how long you leave the phone on charge, it remains disconnected and flat.

You only need to get the voltage in the battery to raise a percent or two to reconnect the protection circuit so that it will charge again and you can do that by warming up the battery. You may get away with leaving the phone overnight in a very warm (hot) place, such as on top of a hot water tank, however a more efficient way is to remove the battery and heat it up until it's quite hot with a hairdryer on its hottest setting. Heat it for a good 5-10 mins so that the hear soaks right through the battery and it feels hot to the touch, this will raise the internal voltage enough to reconnect the protection circuit. Immediately reconnect the battery into the phone and put it on charge. After about 10-20 mins, enough charge should get back into the battery to fire up the phone and it'll come back to life.

I've done this a few times now on various different models and it always works. Hope it helps you.

is it effective for iphone 3g

Crazy advice - not safe to follow see below

Is this applicable to iPhone 5?

this did not work for me..2 days now my iphone 5s has been down

My iPhone 5 has been of for 5 days now, it shows the battery thing but just won't turn on

I hope I am not to late. What I did because I have the 5 and it did the same thing. It wouldt come on but it would show the battery was charging so what I did was make sure the phone is plugged up to the charger but here is the trick. Plug in a flat iron, clothing iron, blow dryer or stove and set your phone very close (but not close enough to cause damage to the phone). After about2 minutes of doing this trick I pressed the home screen and the sleep/wake button an my phone turned back on. (AMEN)

Thank you so much! I'm so glad this worked!

dude... i charged my phone for 5 hours. And I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow, totally chaos when my phone didn't work. used the blowdryer for like.. 30 seconds and it turns on. Thanks a lot man! You saved my day!!!!

this procedure works on my phone too brilliant thanks a lot

Holy crap. This actually worked. Thanks man!

The heat suggestion does work! However, I was too scared to put it near a direct heat source, so I took it out of the cover & rubbed it between my hands...it sprang back to life after not turning on for 6hrs!

if you have had difficulty charging your battery, but once charged it holds it's charge then the problem is either the dock itself..in which case give it a very good clean out of all the dirt that may have gathered or replace it.

Once a battery has died beyond charging it will not charge from wall or pc no matter how much you try.

I'd suggest investing in a new battery and a new charging port (dock connector) then you know you have a clean starting point. As the phone is dead you don't have to worry about powering off before you start troubleshooting, but it's a good point to remember if you need to go back in and check connections once you have replaced those parts.

What's the best thing to use to clean the dock connector? Can I use rubbing alcohol or will that set off the moisture sensor?

remove battery charge it extranally for a few seconds it will charge fine,until its empty again !!! ios 10 is the fault deliberate or unintentional you decide.

this worked for me after about 30 seconds. awesome advice. thanks for posting.

i dont know if people still have this problem....but a solution for me was cleaning out the dock with a pin. a lot of dust can get stuck in then and become compressed. a good way to know if this is your problem is to see if your charger fits in all the into the phone. if it doesnt most likely means your dock has dust in it and charger is not fitting in properly. if you ask my phone was charging normally before? yea it charged for me too but when my battery was completely drained it wouldnt with the dust there, but i once i cleaned the dock it started charging perfectly. hope this was some help.

Tried to bring mine back to life - but I had no hairdryer - so just sat on it for 20 minutes and it worked! Go figure

simple technique every apple device has issue... i just take a hair dryer and in back cover slowly and gradually move up and down when it's metal got heated it's turn on ... since iphone 4 to uptill now iphone 6s plus and now also tried iphone 7... so i though apple can also gave one hair dryer to every customer :P

I was wary of the hair dryer technique when my phone wouldn't turn on so I tried just warming it up with my body heat while it was plugged into the wall. This did the trick! phone turned on in about a minute or two and it continued charging.

The following steps revived an iPhone5: a) put your iPhone into DFU mode (Default Firmware Update), then b) restore the iPhone completely. The complete restore process in DFU mode may need to be repeated 5-6 or more time before the iPhone revives. (I'd give up after 10 tries)

NOTE: I would not recommend paying for a battery replacement. Usually it is a software issue. Once an iPhone's battery has been discharged completely, the software date and other parameters seem to get lost, preventing iPhone from properly functioning.

HEY EVERYONE I just had the same issue of an old iPhone 5 that I was on reserve for emergencies so I have not used it in a year, What i found to be the charm was warm it up (i just used my laptop that was quite warm underneath as all laptops get, left it there for 1-2 mins resting underneath then i held down ALLLL THE BUTTONS ON MY PHONE(home button, + - buttons and main top switch) and after what felt like eternity it came alive!!!! :) Really hope this current advice helps others!!

Hello i had the same problem, its like the above post there is a fusible link of sorts and it opens the circuit when the battery power gets too low. I just took off the phone case and plugged it in and placed the phone about 2 inches from a light bulb. what that did was close the circuit and allowed the battery to charge once again. The phone has to heat up to close the fusible link. so get the phone to about 90 degrees after you plug it in. good luck

This worked for me too! An old iPhone we use as a device for kids was lost and dead a month. Plugged in all day couldn't get it to come to life, only the red dead battery. Left it plugged in, hairdryer to the back about 1-2 min and within a minute the apple logo came back and then it worked!

Having the same problem.

IPhone 6S was working fine and has been, it's not even a year old yet....

Then it drained of battery but I couldn't charge it to bring it back to life. And only sometimes when I clicked the buttons I'd get the red battery appear. If I had the charger in the red battery appears without the little charger thing at the bottom so clearly the phone recognises the charger. And my iPad recognises the charger. But now (after 12hoursish) that red battery doesn't even come up. And it's just dead and the screen is black.

I've tried cleaning the charging dock out, I've tried a force reset and I've tried heating it (and trust me I'm in Cyprus on holiday its 36C in the sun) so after 2min sitting in the sun the phone was burning hot.

Really need an easy fix for this as I'm on holiday and need my phone for my flight check-in tickets .....there is no Apple Store in Cyprus too :/

I live in a similarly hot area, and the sun didn't work for me either, it needed focused heat from a hairdryer. Google image where exactly the battery is (if the screen is face down, the battery is along the middle of the left edge and spans across towards the right edge about 2/3 of the way.) Try and focus the hairdryer in the middle of the battery area on the back of the phone *while it is plugged in with its charger* - that is key. About 10-13 seconds of this and BAM! Apple logo! This was after baking mine in raging sun didn't work.

Thanks Bradkey. Didn't need to do that in the end as, I managed to get in on when I took it to a local phone shop. Took the charger out of the display phones and into mine, after a few minutes it turned on, charged like normal. After about 20% I took it out & rushed home. But don't seem to be able to charge it at home.

Sometimes phone doesn't even recognise charger, sometimes the electric symbol appears but doesn't charge and sometimes (sometimes) it charges fine.

So I've had an online chat with Apple support who ran mobile diagnostics and they said there's nothing wrong with battery etc and told me to do all the force reset and clean the charging port out (which ofc doesn't take an "Apple genius" to tell you that).

Gonna take it to a Apple Store to get it checked and hopefully fixed. Will let you know the outcome in case anyone has a similar situation in the future.

Update:

So took it to Apple shop. They put a tiny camera in the charging port and showed how there are 3 little pins in the port and one is damaged. This why it won't charge.

Apparently, this doesn't come under the warranty and is classed as accidental damage....which is baloney imo. Apparently I've "put the charger in too hard". I've owned iPads, iPhones, iPods for years....Ik how to put a charger in....

Anyway, for Apple to fix it's gonna cost £300. So going to look for an alternative. Will let you know if I find one.

I appreciate this fault seems different to that of this post. But someone might stumble across this with same problem.

HP customer supportprovides best solution to our users.It gives 24/7 technical support to our users.

I have found numerous times with so called "smart" battery chargers as needed for Li-Ion but also NiMh or even lead acid leisure batteries that they refuse to charge a really discharged battery. Their internal logic does not cope for a very flat battery. Happened only last night with my BL-5CB in my Nokia105 which was only reading 3.05vdc. First time I just bought a new battery online and away it went. This time I used the trick mentioned by an earlier poster. Just get a few 1.5v alkaline batteries (enough to exceed the 3.6v of the BL5CB) and connect them together (I use a battery holder from some item I scrapped a few years ago) and then just connect the BL-5CB to it +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve and leave it for just a minute or two. This will give enough charge to bring the BL5CB voltage out of "deep discharge" and then I put it back in the Nokia 105, DON'T turn the phone on as not enough charge to power it, but straight away plug in and switch on the charger. Up popped the little charge icon on the screen and a few hours later the phone was back to full functionality showing 100% charge.

Similar approaches worked with my 12v leisure battery that my smart trickle charger/maintainer refuses to recognise unless the battery voltage is over 8v. Takae care not to use any power supply which can provide too much current as it will probably blow the protection fuse inside the BL-5CB. I measured my charge rate last night with an inline multimeter and it was only 30mA. but that was enough as I explained above.

it really works...g8, thanks

Hello guys, so i was using my phone to chat with friends online this morning but i have exams and i have to drop it inside the car safe box. i came back after 45 mins to use my phone and to my surprise the phone was off (i didnt turn it off when i wanted to go for exam). i have tried severally to turn on the phone till now but it will refuse to come up.

Firstly, when i connect it to power source, it will show Apple Logo and then disappear again, after two seconds , it will show apple logo again like it wanna boot and off again.. he did that like 5 times and later screen gone blank. i have used iphone 3, 4, 5, and currently using 6+ i have never for once encountered such issue before.

i sincerely seek an advise on this issue as it cant wait please.

I will be looking forward to hear from you friends.

i cant even access my email and the recovery phone is the number on the iphone and i need to keep to udate on my email.

Best Regards

I can confirm the hairdryer method works. Not first time for me, but after about 15 mins of a hairdryer while plugged into macbook with itunes open, and it took 3 attempts until recovery mode began. couldn't get it into DFU.

Matt will be eternally grateful.