2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz) with 3 MB shared L3 cache.

Battery percentage suddenly drops from ~60% to 7%

A few weeks ago, I decided to replace my macbook’s battery - after 5ish years, the only thing about this laptop (the best laptop ever made) was the battery life drained quickly. I ordered a battery + kit from iFixit, and replaced the battery. I conditioned the battery, but every time it discharged it would jump from above 50% battery to 7% battery, then die shortly after (i.e. a very discontinuous discharge). I received a replacement battery for the replace from iFixit, and replaced again. However, I’m still having the same problem with the battery jumps . I figure it’s unlikely to be the battery, but am unsure what else could could be causing the issue. I’ve reset PRAM and SMC.

Download Coconut Battery on your Mac and add some screenshots to your question, thus we may be able to see some additional technical figures. However that seems to me another faulty battery, there seem to be quite a bit in the market with such percentage jumps issue and hibernation not working at all.

Added a screenshot of activity monitor and coconut battery

@tumblingpenguin As I feared, another faulty battery, capacity is not coherent with 3 charging cycles and behaviour confirms its bad performance. Just ask for a replacement.

the censers that control the % of battery may be shot or they may not be wired up correctly

Hello, Jacob, did you find out about the problem? I have exactly the same issue now. Brand new battery (second already) and battery level drops from around 60% to 7%, remaining for quite some tome on the 7% level after that.

Cheers, cal

I am having the same exact issue… I requested a replacement of the battery, which arrived today. I installed it and… same issue again. Unsure if it has to do with the compatibility or what. The last battery was also loosing it’s capacity very quickly, so we’ll see what this one does.

Not entirely sure how to solve the issue, and if the laptop requires the full disassemble in order to change the battery (i admit i only replaced the battery without disassembling other parts).

fingers crossed but hope is low.

i got another battery from them and the issue is still there. Not sure what the issue can be but aside from “a faulty battery”, being the second one from iFixit that I install, i wonder if this is just the nature of it. any idea?

I have the exact same issue on my Macbook Pro Late 2013, and this is the second battery I’ve received from iFixit. What I’ve notice isn’t just the sudden drop in charge from about 50% to 7% but also the reverse when charging, as it will jump from about 65% to 100%.

Do you still have the same issue? I just replaced my battery and I'm having the same problem.

I have exactly the same issue. I tried fully draining it and recharging a couple of times, but nothing helps. CoconutBattery says the battery is in fine state, but decharging abruptly goes from ~90% to 7% and shutdown within an hour. Recharging suddenly jumps from ~40% to 100% after an hour or two.

Mine was broken. I had to replace it with one that works.

jacob sager will be eternally grateful.