This Nintendo DS Lite was released in 2006 as the successor to the Nintendo DS. Getting inside this device is simple, making for easy fixes.

Ds Lite Won't Read Games

I recently purchased a broken ds lite off of ebay to attempt repairing it as a little project. It won't read ds or gameboy games, so I assumed it just had some damaged pins. I opened up the ds and to my surprise, all the pins appeared to perfectly intact. I even put gentle pressure on each one and they all appeared well-attached to the motherboard. I then theorized that the pins could possibly be dirty, so after cleaning them off with some q-tips and rubbing alcohol, I assembled the ds and tested it. (Spoiler alert: that still didn't fix my problem, and all that my endeavors produced was a really clean ds lite lmao)

The two slots might need to be replaced, but it seemed like too much of a coincidence that both parts would be faulty.

I'm not sure what else could be the problem, if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. Thank you!

A couple of questions, first of all, does the DS power on? Like power on but not reading games or does not power entirely

@luckytechguys The ds powers on perfectly fine, I just can't get any of my games to work. However, according to the listing on ebay, it does have issues holding its charge.

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

MacBook Battery Fix Kits

Starting at $69.99

Most Helpful Answer

From what you are saying, it is most likely that the card reader is fried from heavy use by the previous owner(s). You generally cannot fix it separately. The best option would be to buy a new motherboard off ebay. They typically cost from 10-30 dollars used. When you are looking, look at the pictures of the listings with the left Styrophome cover is not damaged. This is the piece that will detect a card has been inserted. If you don’t think getting a new motherboard is worth it, look at your old one and see if any wires are frayed on the left hand side. Good Luck and tell me how it goes!!!

if you are keen you can desolder the card reader and put a new one in....

Hey I thought this might help if it's not too late but I just purchased a ds lite from gamestop today and thought it a bad one not wanting to read games, in a non attempting way I had the games already inserted in the system while it was off and powered it on and boom the games finally were able to read (both ds and gameboy game) hope this

Buckets G. will be eternally grateful.