Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Headphone jack, power button, volume and mute not working

Heyy,

I dropped by Iphone 3gs and since then, the power button, head phone jack, mute and volume buttons are not working...But everything is working good. I have been to apple store expecting they might repair it, but their answer was no use to me. I decided to try myself..Can anyone please help me know the problem and how to repair it. Tried to open it but did not understand what to do after opening it.

All of those things are connected together off of one ribbon cable. The cable may have come unplugged when it fell. To get the iPhone open turn it off, stick a suction cup on the touch screen right above the home button, and pull on that suction cup straight upward. This may require a little bit of force. The touch screen and the LCD should all come up together. There are three ribbon cables connecting the screen assembly to the rest of the phone. Read through Removing Display Assembly to see pictures and instructions on how to do this. Once you've gotten that off you can look at the #5 connector. It should be labeled with a sticker saying "5" with an arrow pointing to a connector. Check to see if that connector has come loose. If it has push it back onto the pins that it sits on and then close the phone back up. Hope this helps. Post a comment to let me know if this fixes it.

iPhone 3GS Headphone Jack Replacement

iPhone 3GS Display Assembly Image

Guide

iPhone 3GS Display Assembly Replacement

Difficulty: Moderate15 minutos

I've added the headphone jack to your post cal..

Rakesh if you've tried reseating connector 5 and there is no improvement, try replacing the entire ribbon. make sure you buy a ribbon with the volume mute metal connectors attached.. it'll save time and frustration

Thanks Call Hall.. It worked..Except my power button isnt working..except that everything is working as usual..I appreciate your help..Saved lot of my time and frustration...

Can you help me figure out the way to repair power button!!

Thank you

The power button on the new ribbon that you installed isn't working? I'm not 100% sure on this but there is that metal loop on the physical power button and I think that needs to be up when you put the ribbon cable part in. Let me know what all is going on there. Thanks.

Down! Try loosening the screws rakesh

Thanks for that correction pollytintop. I get confused on that one.

FIX POWER BUTTON by pressing hard against the upper right side of the phone. It should work. For a temporary solution, it's ok.

Same problem - solution worked great - thank you guys! Was a little bit confused as to what re-seating the ribbon actually meant.

Long story short, but resat 'cable 5' when the phone was on... expect it to vibrate as if you toggled the mute button!

iLIKEplace thank you for your advice, it works like a treat! My mute/volume buttons were not working earlier. After pressing hard on the upper left/right side, the iphone suddenly vibrates and all buttons are working fine now. Although it might be temporary, at least it saves me the hassle of opening up the iphone. Thanks guys!!!

I had the same problem with my wifes 3GS. She dropped her phone and after the drop the volume, mute, power button, and head phone jack did not work. I lifted up the screen to see what I was getting myself into and without havig to disconnect any wires I noticed a connector in the upper left that was undone. After pushing it back into place everything worked again.

Pushing down in the corners did not work for me so I had to open it up.

Rakesh Mora will be eternally grateful.