Apple announced the Retina MacBook 2015, model A1534, on March 9, 2015 to launch on April 10. It has a new unibody construction and includes an updated trackpad, keyboard, and Retina display.

Replace battery *and* lower case in MacBook 12" A1534 Early 2015?

My MacBook 12" Retina A1534 Early 2015 is showing the "service battery" warning in both the system controls as well as Coconut Battery. I am looking to replace it myself, however the repair guide on iFixit essentially involves dismantling the entire machine and leaving only the lower case assembly and battery.

Is there a way to remove the battery without stripping it down to the lower case assembly?

Also, is there adhesive holding the battery to the lower assembly? The repair guide did not provide any detail about removing the battery.

Thank you.

Hello Jason,

The battery is solidly glued to the bottom panel not the bottom chassis. Unfortunately to replace the battery you would need to use a bunch of adhesive remover and plastic cards to undo the battery. I would try to buy the battery attached to a bottom panel and follow the LCD/LB guide to disassemble the computer.

If you do decide to buy just the battery I would follow up to step 20 of the LCD guide and remove the Logic Board with the logic board guide. Then remove any other components before you start to go to town on the battery. Use only plastic tools, if you puncture the black battery casing it causes a chemical reaction and can start a fire.

Retina MacBook 2015 Display Assembly Replacement

Retina MacBook 2015 Logic Board Replacement

iFixit Adhesive Remover (for Battery, Screen, and Glass Adhesive)

MacBook 12" Retina (Early 2015) Battery

Battery Blocker

Plastic Cards

Plastic Cards Image

Plastic Cards

Battery Blocker Image

Battery Blocker

iFixit Adhesive Remover (for Battery, Screen, and Glass Adhesive) Image
MacBook 12" Retina (Early 2015) Battery Image

Jason S will be eternally grateful.