Clothes dryer repair and support guides.

Why does my dryer keep blowing thermal fuses.

Dryer heater won't cycle on and off. Vents are clear because I can feel cold air from outside when dryer is off. I've also inspected ducts. Can a damaged blower wheel cause the cycling thermostat to fail or the thermal fuse to blow? Or both?

Thank you all for your suggestions. It was the blower wheel that was the problem. I replaced it, and everything is back to normal. Thanks again.

Just wanted to ask , I noticed the heater is still on after the cycle ends. That is why my fuse are burn all the time. Every time I have to pull the plug off the wall.

davidbenda ...

Your heating element is grounded out. Repair or replace the heating element. Some part of it is touching the heater housing.

Most Helpful Answer

Hi @alston56 ,

What is the make and model number of the dryer?

Suspect thermostat may be faulty as it should switch off heater when temperature is reached and not allow the temp to continue to rise and therefore cause the thermal safety fuses to blow (these are safeguards against a potential fire hazard)

Thermal fuses burn out to prevent fires. All dryers have a high limit safety thermostat that cuts power to the element at a lower temperature than the thermal fuse burnout temperature. In addition, the dryer may have a thermometer and temperature control or a simple thermostat. So there are three temperature sensors in most dryers, and the thermal fuse is the last.

The leading cause of thermal fuse burnout is obstructed airflow. Check the exhaust path for excessive lint or debris all the way to the exit point of the exhaust pipe. Check the blower wheel to make sure it isn't broken or clogged up. This can be done by using "cool down" or "air fluff" mode. If the unit has a lint trap on the outside of the drum, make sure it seals up when installed.

If there is good airflow and the heater is working correctly, the thermal fuse should not burn out. If the temperature controls are not doing their jobs, replace them.

Hi, I don't know what area of the US you live but if you live in any of the sunbelt states or SoCal you'll want to run your washer and dryer at night or at least in the evenings especially, if you have your dryer outdoors or in the garage (like me).

Just my 2 cents...

-Fred

Repair Dude Extraordinaire

Dryer Repair Experts in Las Vegas

BENJAMIN will be eternally grateful.