Entry level laptop introduced in 2015. Comes in a range of processor options from the Celeron to the Core i7. Also comes with a few AMD processors, but most are Intel based.

Laptop extremely slow after just a couple years of use.

Hi, I had got an Acer Aspire E15 laptop on Christmas of 2015, the laptop worked great for the first year of so, but now in late 2017, it runs very slow, I have upgraded and downgraded between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I have also factory reset the laptop on numerous occasions and am still met with the slow performance. I remember that one time I couldn't downgrade to Windows 8.1 because I had passed the time frame to roll back, so I messed with the partitions a bit and was able to roll back, after that I went back to windows 10 and I'm currently using 10. I'm not sure if me messing with the partitions caused this or if the parts inside are just dirty, but I was wondering if that might be the case and how to clean the parts safely and efficiently so the performance can go back to normal.

Things I've tried:

Factory reset

Clearing startup programs from task manager

Registry tweaks (Not using any currently)

Defragmentation

Installing latest drivers

Laptop specs:

Intel Celeron N2830 CPU 2.16 Ghz

4 GB DDR3L RAM

Windows 10 64-bit

maybe this would be a job for the PC gurus like @pccheese @nick or @jimfixer ?

Already on it @oldturkey03

A clean install from a startup disc is the best way to do it. Try that, then even if unnecessary an SSD is a great way to boost your laptop. Besides that another 4GB of RAM could help.

Win10 S needs to fail, @pccheese. It's Win10 with a 3rd party app lockout.

@nick Oh. I never did much research on it. All I knew is that it's supposed to be Chromebook competition and you can't change the default browser.

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Im going to asume that when you install windows 10 you installed it over windows 8.1. This is a messy way to install and leaves you with a lot of excess baggage . If your game it would be best to do a clean install . Use the jellybean key recovery tool to find your product key then download a copy of windows ten from the microsoft website and either burn an iso or put it on a jump stick and load it from there installer program a clean install will work much better than an overlay.

Some other things to think of as far as speeding up your laptop

1. SSD instead of the hard drive

2. Run amem test This will help you determine if you need to replace the ram as it does break down over time

3. Run a sfc scannowto see if theres not just a fault in windows

4. Clean house.... registry programs that say they will repair your registry are of little to no value and are usually malware or full of spyware as are a lot of anti virus programs you find free on the net . The best way to fix your registry is to format and reload a clean copy . back up your data and reload a fresh copy of windows but dont forget to recover the product key first

Finally the act of installing an overlay and then rolling back leaves so much baggage it cant help but slow you down . Hope this helps

You have two things going against you.

1. Your CPU being a Celeron will always be a slow point on your computer.

2. Your drive slows down as it ages. This doesn't mean your drive is dying it just happens.

First use memtest to ensure your RAM's integrity. If that passes,

There are two things you can do.

1. Replace your drive by cloning it over to a new one or installing fresh from CD or USB.

2. Using a different computer to low level format your drive and install the OS from CD or USB.

To start with, your weakest link is going to be the Celeron processor. These are bottom of the barrel parts that fail most tests but are still good enough to be branded as a Celeron. A lot of features are disabled on these so they are not good for much. On top of this, they tend to show their age in 2-3 years since they are so low end. It's always going to be this way, unless you install a Pentium or Core i3 motherboard. The processor is soldered to the motherboard.

The first thing I'd look into is if the processor is throttling. I'd try cleaning the dust out of the heatsink and applying new thermal paste to the machine to help it run cooler. The best thing you can do at this point is to use a high quality paste like Artic MX-4. In this application high performance thermal paste will offer little to no benefit in terms of temperature but if the processor runs cooler, it will turbo boost higher and throttle less often.

While your options will be limited because you have the lowest end model, a RAM upgrade will still give you a major performance bump. This machine maxes out at 8GB of RAM because of the processor it has. The memory can be purchased from most retailers or online at places like Amazon.

However, if you really want to fix the problem (and you can afford it), the best upgrade you can do is install an SSD. The drive and capacity you pick are up to you, but I would suggest looking at the WD Blue 3D NAND SSD's or the SanDisk X600. The main difference is the brand and available capacity - the X600 is fully unlocked while the WD Blue has a 6-12GB lockout for overprovisioning. You can find the WD Blue variant on Amazon as well.

If you can afford a better laptop I'd suggest considering it. The upgrades will cost about as much as a new laptop, even if you do it yourself.

kardanjo will be eternally grateful.