Released September 25, 2015. Model A1688/A1633. Repair of this device is similar to previous generations, requiring screwdrivers and prying tools. Available as GSM or CDMA / 16, 64, or 128 GB / Silver, Gold, Space Gray, or Rose Gold options.

922 Questions View all

iPhone got liquid damage (fell in the toilet bowl). What to do?

IPhone 6s got liquid damage, I have managed to open it, saw the indicator on the side near the sim card tray that it is liquid damaged as it turned pink.

On the first day it fell, iPhone goes off by itself (powered down) after 2 minutes maybe. Then after few hours, it got very hot and then cooled down. I have already soaked it in rice for at least 2 days. On 3rd day, I had it opened by myself, saw very little liquid on the battery. Then I dried it up using tissue and let it air for 2 days. Saw no signs of corrosion, only a little from the small box in the upper right part of the LCD/display near the camera.

Now I tried to turn it on, but still it won't. Also, in between the drying days, I tried to turn it on maybe thrice. How will I know if the logic board is already damaged or got short-circuit? I am thinking of soaking the logic board in alcohol, but wanted to get other ideas first. Or should I buy a new LCD? or a new battery? Please help. Thanks in advance for all your responses!

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment
Deck the Halls
With tools and Fix Kits

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

With water damage, you have to decontaminate the logic board before doing anything else, otherwise there will be latent issues down the road.

Not every water-damaged phone is recoverable and depending on the kind of liquid (salty, dirty, filthy), sometimes the success rate is quite low. That said, IMHO, it's always worth a try otherwise we are just piling up the e-waste.

The rice myth kills too many phones...

The water is inside the phone, on the logic board and under the shields, even under the IC's. The rice is nowhere near where the water is. So while it ‘’may’’ soak up some water vapour, the real problem is the mineral deposits that can cause short circuits or the corrosion that is taking place as the water evaporates. Leaving the power on the device accelerates the process. The longer you let a phone sit in rice, the more time you are giving corrosion to damage your logic board. The saltier or harder the water is, the more damage will occur. The water needs to be displaced, not evaporated.

On some phones, rice treatments appear to work. But those are phones that had minimal water ingress and not anywhere near a danger area on the logic board. They would have recovered regardless of the intervention.

Sorry about that, now on to helping you.

  • Open your phone and remove the logic board (follow this guide)
  • Inspect the logic board, especially around the connectors and look for corrosion.
  • Inspect both sides of the board. Unfortunately, most of the board is covered in shields. That's usually where the damage is occurring.
  • Put your board in a container with >90% isopropyl alcohol and let it sit for a while.
  • Use a soft brush, like a toothbrush and lightly brush away any corrosion you see.
  • Rinse in alcohol and repeat.
  • Let it air dry for a day.
  • Re-assemble and hope for the best.

You should also replace the battery if it has swollen. Resist the temptation to pop it to let the gas out. A compromised Li-ion battery is a fire hazard. If the device appears to power up but behaves erratically, then use a tool like 3uTools to flash the firmware as it may be corrupted.

A professional repair shop that does water damage repair may be able to recover your phone or the data because they have access to pro-level ultrasonic baths and specialized cleaners as well as the skills to troubleshoot your board. Many shops have a no fix/no fee policy so you don't have to spend money to find out if the phone is fixable or not.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2

Comments:

Hi @refectio, thank you for your advise. I am based in Philippines and it is quite hard to get >90% iso alcohol. Is 70% enough? If yes, how many minutes should I soak the logic board in? Thank you!

by

If 70% is all you can get, then it's better than nothing. I would soak it for at least 10 minutes. Then I would dry it with some forced air or put it in an oven at around ~100C to evaporate any possible water residue.

by

his all the way "The rice myth kills too many phones..." between this false myth and the battery being hooked up while its basking in the rice that's doing nothing hooking up the charger is not to done till all damage is fixed

by

Add a comment

Add your answer

Blez will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 4

Past 30 Days: 33

All Time: 62