Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

iPhone7: Reboot loop, Not charging, random jumps between 1% and 100%

Hi Guys,

I got an iPhone 7 about 8 months ago. The first accident was about a month in dropped it on the pavement (screen protector didn't help), cracked screen.

Had the screen replaced. It been fine since. Until about 2 weeks ago, the battery level dropped from 63% to 1% in split second while I was using it.

I've tried hard reset, DFU Restore (I had the phone plugged in to enter this mode), the phone refuses to turn on without being plugged in, and when that happens, it just gets stuck in the reboot loop.

Hard to tell if its a battery or bad software, I really do not know. Any help would be a great first step.

I'm posting this here for anybody who comes back.

The fix was the replace the battery, and reinstall iOS.

Most Helpful Answer

Where did you have the screen replaced; Apple or an independent repair shop? It sounds like your phone should till be under warranty so I would consider taking it to Apple for diagnostic. If the phone is physically damaged, then Apple may refuse to service it.

As Leslie suggests, a defective battery could be causing this but I find it odd that a relatively new battery would suddenly go from normal to dead overnight. The problem may be related to the replacement screen, the original impact or a bad battery. Ultimately, it may also be a logic board issue. To properly troubleshoot it, you will need access to new or even better, known-good parts. It may be easier to go to a shop or Apple to have them do the troubleshooting.

3rd party tech. changed the screen. :(

It is the battery, changed it and it will boot up !

Thanks Leslie and refectio I'll try to get the battery replaced and let you know what happens.

There's no official apple support where I live. :(

And did you find a fix for this?

Or was the post Jacob made below here helpfull?

I had a very similar case recently with an iPhone 7 that had never been opened before. Upon first inspection, i noticed the charging port was dirty and cleaned and attempted to charge the phone. It would charge slowly and give erratic percentages that would change when unplugged from the charger. Replaced the battery next, but still had erratic battery behavior. Upon further inspection, I found a blown filter/fuse on the input circuit located on the charging port. I spoke with the customer, and sure enough, he'd been using cheap knockoff cables from a convenience store in his work vans. He brought a couple in and i dissected them to show him why not to use them. Replaced the charging port and sold him MiFi certified Anker Lightning cables. Issue is resolved. A new battery may have been your issue, but also be careful to use a quality charging cable for your device. I use MiFi certified Anker Lightning cables and Anker desktop chargers to eliminate known issues from using poor quality knockoff cables/chargers when I work on customers devices. I've never had a single issue with an anker product and HIGHLY recommend them. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but I've seen too many issues from other brands not to let others know.

Jessa from iPad Rehab did a great video explaining the dangers of cheap cables and what the difference is between quality and junk cables. Heres the link if your interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT7Ds6X9...

Exactly what’s going on right now. I got my iPhone 7 jet black for my birthday last year May 24th and I broke my screen screen protector didn’t work at alllll. So we went to go get it fixed and now it’s starting to act up like going from 75% to 1% then shutting off. So did you find a solution ?

~XoXo

Yes, took it to a repair shop, since there's no genius bar near me. The battery was replaced and iOS was reinstalled.

Walter I will be eternally grateful.