Apple released the MacBook Pro 15" Retina with a new display that has a 2880-by-1800 resolution.

Failure to Suspend with New Battery (MBP 15" Early 2013)

I recently replaced the battery in my early-2013 MacBook Pro (15", Retina, MacOS 10.12.6). The capacity on the new battery seems good; however, at around 5% the laptop suddenly shuts off without suspending. When I plug the machine in and turn it on the date is Dec. 31, 2016.

I reset NVRAM and SMC and neither seems to have made a difference. Any suggestions what else to try? Is it possible that the new battery is defective?

You might want to review this Apple T/N Use the Energy Saver settings on your Mac which goes over the different levels of rest.

From the sounds of it your system is going into Deep Sleep.

That doesn't sound like what's happening. When I power the machine on again, there's no saved session and the Date has fallen back to Dec. 31, 2016. It looks more like a total power failure than an intentional sleep.

Then you are loosing power to the clock logic then which means the battery is defective. To be sure double check the connection for any damage otherwise you'll need a new battery.

This turned out to be a defective battery. Many thanks to iFixit for quickly sending me a replacement part!

I'm happy it all worked out!

Jim will be eternally grateful.