Tractor is not starting.

The tractor won't start. Starter selonoid clicks, the engine turns over once or twice and then the selonoid just keeps clicking and the engine does not turn over.

New starter installed.

Checked power (13.4 volts coming to the starter)

Tried hot wiring the starter (give the S-terminal 12v. Same exact behavior.

Please suggest what to check next.

1984 Long 360

cayte03 remove your starter but keep it connected. Just remove the battery cable. Once removed replace the battery cables and see if your starter behaves normal. The bendix should engage and the starter should turn over. Let us know what you find. It is a power situation and your starter may just draw to much from the battery. Also, when you boosted your tractor, did you use the "new" battery directly on the starting circuit or did you connect it to the "old" battery?

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

cayte03, Perhaps try a boost of another vehicle to see if this allows the starter to engage. If boosting works the problem will be with the battery or the terminals on the battery loose or corroded. If boosting does not work problem could be loose/corroded/burnt/damage wires/connections, faulty starter. Links below may help in diagnosing your issue, 1st link is 360 Long tractor service manual that has section on trouble shooting starter issue's and other excellent info.. Good luck. I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

https://tractorpoint.com/pdf/Long-Servic...

https://www.w8ji.com/battery_and_chargin...

Thanks.

Already tried using another battery (not sure why I forgot to mention that.)

cayte03, thanks for replying back, still would not hurt to try a boost(while trying to turn over give the starter body a couple whacks with heavy object/hammer) and check through all the wires/cables/switch for starting circuit, also note that I posted the service manual which should help you solve the issue.

HI:

The trouble is the battery. Let me explain. Led acid batteries will show 13,8 or 13.4 when the battery has been sitting. The chemical reaction on the plates still produces voltage because not all of the plate is damaged and will show good voltage because the load of the meter is so small. When the battery is required to be used it must maintain voltage even though it is damaged inside. Your starter will give a try then because of internal damage it can not produce voltage hence a drop in current. This drop will not turn the starter motor and because the voltage is so low it will not even produce enough voltage and current to hold in the solenoid and the buzzing until the battery voltage drops and even the solenoid can not be buzzed.

You have a short or a destroyed pate or plates in your battery. Take a voltage reading at the battery as you try to start until the solenoid buzzes. You will see the voltage drop off to 4 or 5 volts or nothing.

Been at this for 50 years, it is your battery.

Unfortunately this is not the case :( there is no voltage drop and I have tried jumping it from another battery. I somehow neglected putting this in my original post.

ou left out a lot of things tried,. Use a lead of your jumper cable one end hook to the solenoid battery terminal ,touch the starter terminal, try not to ruin the threads it will spark. Jumper cables at the battery spark could ignite the hydrogen gas and blow up the battery. You are removing the solenoid from the circuit. A good roll over then the solenoid or its ground trouble. You did say the starter turned over on one test. You eliminated the key switch with the jumper from the battery to the solenoid . Trying another battery eliminated the terminal connection at the battery. I will assume you made sure the negative battery terminal is on the engine proper and not to the frame which could be a bad ground.

Yo are doing good with all your troubleshooting. Removing the starter again and trying to run it sitting on the tractor is a bad idea. When it starts it will kick and could injure your self. If you must remove the start motor secure it in place before applying power.

cayte03 will be eternally grateful.