Repair guides and support for the popular 3rd generation VW Jetta. Sold in Europe as the VW Vento.

Why does my Jetta not shift into 2nd or 4th gear but fine on 1st, 3rd,

Myh 92 Jetta 5 speed manual wont shift into 2nd or 4th gear. If rev'd up, will go into 3rd and up to 5th. What could this problem be?

Spray the linkages. I had a problem similar but wouldn't go in reverse.

catherine.a.elliott73 , There is a possibility that the shift linkage bushings or cable brackets are bad/loose or it could be a more serious transmission internal issue like worn/bad syncro's/gears/bearings, damaged/bent shift fork,etc.. Have a good local transmission shop have a look, diagnose and estimate repair. Good luck. I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

There are several reason but the most likely issue will be with the syncros in the gear box . It could also be the shift linkage has been damaged or bent and therefore will not move freely . The fact that you can get it to shift if you power shift suggests that the problem is with the syncros

catherine.a.elliott73 will be eternally grateful.