Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

How to fix this accessory may not be supported

I got a cable for my iPhone7 i can charge and listen to music at the same time by using it was working at the beginning but when I updated my phone it keeps telling this accessory may not be supported, do you have any solution? Please help me.

This is really upsetting. I just bought this phone and absolutely nothing works to correct this. I guess I need to trudge to an Apple store to get this fixed. I hope the staff at the store have some way to fix it.

I've been having the same issue. I bought a new apple charger a month ago cause my old one died... Now today, when I tried to charge my phone this message popped out and I have no idea what to do. I tried everything but nothing seems to work. Have you guys recently updated your phone?

Never had this problem with an Android.

Why should I have to always buy an original charger, didn't they get enough money from me for the phone? Maybe I should just ditch the Apple, this is very annoying.

Totally agree with this answer, I went back to my older android phone! Apple changes everything so rapidly that you can never have n “ up to date” system!!!

The suggested solution does not work for me. I continue to get the "This accessory may not be supported" message and my phone does not charge.

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

So, this sounds like an aftermarket product. Apple makes weapons to fight people like us, and increase their profits. They're worried they won't be super ultra rich, and want to full on super ultra rich. Even products they themselves have released can have this happen. Apple used to make charging docks that your iPhone could stand up, while charging. Eventually those products, released by Apple, became unsupported. I believe they released a newer one. Same thing will happen. Sorry, this isn't an answer. It's the always lengthy explanation that is Apple

I guess there's some place (file) where iTunes blacklists products with a certain code. I found out that same cable, after the "unsupported accessory" warning, might just work fine if used on a different computer afterwards, at least for some time. Would be nice to have some insight..

When I was using that old dock, sometimes it would work. But it would repeatedly say, not supported

I thought that’s what Apple was all about.

Providing a superior product. And that’s probably why it doesn’t work. It’s an aftermarket accessory displaying an error because it’s junk.

I briefly owned two aftermarket lightning cables that have thousands of 5 star reviews on Amazon. They weren’t cheap.

One is still fine and the other one gave that message out of the box. The Apple lightning cable that came with the phone is still working and has taken a serious beating.

I don’t have a horse in this race because I, personally, am not a fan of the iPhone. I have one through work.

Except they don't provide a superior product. Their white iphone cables are the worst pieces of junk on the market. They last 6-9 months max, then start fraying at the ends.

The aftermarket charging cord THAT I BOUGHT AT THE APPLE STORE HERE IN SOUTH FLORIDA worked fine for 6 months, now it shows “this accessory may not be supported” CONSTANTLY. Apple is about ONE THING......$$$. My IPhone is a work phone. I NEVER had these issues with any Android based Phone. I don’t see what the big obsession is about a phone that makes you pay for EVERYTHING and comes equipped brand new out of the box with UNDOUBTEDLY the flimsiest and cheapest charging cords in the industry. The word “lemmings” comes to mind

Practically no solution, just use the original cable

There is no solution. Apple has designed their product in such a way that of you have buy an apple you have to buy whole family. That’s why Apple is worlds biggest company

None of these solutions work. My charger works fine, the issue is the adapter for my headphones. This is really annoying. I have an apple lightning phone jack and a used iPhone 7 that I just purchased. Unbelievable that I have to trudge to the Apple store. I really hope someone there has a fix or I’m going to be extremely upset. I can’t stream my news or a video or anything using headphones. This is one of the most important functions of the iPhone for me.

The same thing is happening to my iPhone 7 Plus. Did you go to Apple yet? Because I just got the iPhone today and when I set it up everything was good it charged correctly but each time I try to plug in the headphones adapter and then listen to music it will pause after a minute and so. Then I press play while the headphone still plug in it plays it out loud through the speaker.

This is my problem too.Personally without headphones I can barely use my phone it helps me so much and is annoying when it stops midway to say that it isnt compatible when it literally was just working fine like wtf.

Any update on this, I have the same problem on iPhone7 when I use headphone adapter and listed to the music. The headphone works fine if I use headphone, but when I use adapter to connect the headphone I can't listed music thru headphone. This working fine well before but issue started a few days before

Been using the same aftermarket cord for 6+ months and all of a sudden the error message popped up. I have the 8+ and it has been nothing but problem after problem & now this. I’ve been on the Apple bandwagon since the iPhone 4 & after “downgrading” from the 7+ to the 8+ I’m finished. I will end my contract early and pay the penalty, I don’t care. I have always thought that having to buy a genuine Apple charging cord was absolutely ridiculous but this cord I bought 6+ months ago worked up until now. Goodby Apple, I would apologize but you don’t deserve it after raping people for so long. This weekend, I’ll be upgrading ALL of all our Apple products to a different manufacturer. Time to do some research!!

I damaged my original Apple USB to Lightning cable. It still works, but the white plastic got damaged and the shielding got exposed. So I bought some claimed compatible cables. I took them to the Apple store to get them "blessed" by a Genius. She plugged them into an Apple computer and plugged my phone into the cables. The Genius told me that the cables work perfectly for charging and data.

But today, I am getting the dreaded "This accessory may.." message. I switched back to the still working original Apple cable, and it too, reported that it might not be supported message! I found, that the iPhone connection seems to be sensitive to what USB port on my computer it is using. If I use a port that works for the Apple cable, it works for the third party cables too.

Apple is just TOO GREEDY. Why can't I buy what I want/need? I bought some cables that are fabric on the outside that look and feel better than the cheap cables from Apple.

Now, I have my iPhone charging and exchanging data with iTunes.

1. Try the other original charging cable for your iPhone iPad.

2. Clean your Apple Accessory. You can use a pushpin to carefully insert it into your iPhone or iPad charging port, and clean out the pocket lint or debris from the charging port.

3. Plug your charger in, when you get the error message hold your finger on the dismiss button and pull your charger out. While still applying pressure to the screen, plug your charger back in and it should work.

4. Turn off the device with the Lightning plug attached and then restart it.

5. Connect your iPhone to the charging cable. The error message will appear, so dismiss or ignore it. Next, turn on the Airplane mode in your device. Turn off your iPhone and wait for 1 minute and turn it on again.

I tried all of these but none worked. Except for the using the cable that came with the phone. You can apparently plug that cable into any attachment to plug into the wall but apparently non-apple cords will have this issue. At least mine did.

What if you are using the original cable but just plugging it directly in to your work computer to charge (a PC)? The issue for me is not the cable but the device it is plugged in to. My car charger has started doing the same thing since the update but I use the original apple cord it is just the product the plug is plugged into that isn't apple.

Simply change your charging adapter, The cable wont matter. Atleast for me it didnt.

I was not charging my phone when I got the error . I was going to send a photo on messenger and the message popped up and would not dismiss.

Try plugging in the cord turning off your phone and turning the phone back on with the cord still plugged in.

Plug in charger. Error message should pop up. Press finger against dismiss or ignore button and-while still applying pressure to the screen-unplug cord. Still apply pressure as you plug the cable back in. Wait for a few seconds then release pressure. Worked for me. So happy!!!

@Hazel, this option worked for me. Thanks a million!!

In my case, i buy Bavin lightning cable cord and it really works for me. It cost mostly around 7 bucks.

Hey guys, not sure if I just got lucky or not.. here is what I did:

1). With aftermarket cable plugged in (lightening cable to aux in my example)

2). I held power + circle to force reboot.

3). Upon recovery I instantly went into Settings > Power and turned on “Power Save” mode.

4). With my cable still plugged in, went to iTunes and music is playing for the last 30min.

GOOD LUCK. hope this helps.

If Apple's proprietary lightning cables were worth what they charge, I would not mind paying the Apple piper. But Apple's cables are the first to go; they fray, they fail, they totally fall apart, all under reasonable wear circumstances. Certain of these tougher aftermarket cables hold up; if Apple would only allow them to function. They initially read and start charging, but then Jiminy Cricket somehow figures out they're not OM products and disables the operation. Nice going, Tim. You force us into aftermarket cabling, then blackmail us into buying your inferior peripherals.

Steve would have fired you long ago and put Forstall back in charge of the whole operation. He may have been a pain in the backshop, but he cared about us and shared our wide-eyed enthusiasm . You, Ive and fellow bots are meek pretenders, merely counting your (read: my) money.

What's most sad is that I'm a loyal fan of Apple products.

Driving we plugged in two iPhone 7+s , one with apple cord one with aftermarket cord to a new aftermarket accessory to charge in the cigarette lighter/ adapter socket. One phone charger no matter which cord was used and the other iPhone kept getting the “ thus accessory may not be compatible messsge” and stop charging. I tried turning it off and restarting but it still wouldn’t charge fir longer than a few seconds and sometimes a few minutes but very slowly . Very frustrating when travelling.

I have this problem with my lightening cable not being accepted as a supported accessory. It’s an Apple product it’s worked before and since upgrade has stopped. Can’t listen to music, can’t listen to my audio books with aux cables. So frustrating I may have to go to android phone but then I lose all my downloads. What the h$&@ Apple don’t you make enough money to sort this s#%t out!!!

This is my last Iphone, there out guys obsess with the last iphone, good luck for them in their iphone religion, on every dammed patch they make everything more than 2 years unsupported. I just recommend you to charge it with the iphone off or keep unplugging and replugging...or just admit we were happier before with nokia..cell phones were unbreakable, battery lasted for days, we didn't have facebook , so they were no idiot trolls and spying and you have a life watching for your kids and if eventually someone call you, you knew that even with 5% battery you were able to have at least 1 hour conversation. who cares really about your life or number of likes from unknown people that really the care a $@$* about you. if is your birthday the people that truly loves you will call you...so short answer ... you have to keep buying $@$* for ever with iphone, you have to keep spending because on every update your phone will be slower, the battery will go faster and your devices will be unsupported

Yes, for me it was the charger block, and not the cable.

Sarah will be eternally grateful.