Home button doesn't work on a lock screen, but works when unlocked

I recently replaced a touchscreen, everything seems to work but couple things don't:

1. Home button doesn't work when the phone is locked. although if I call a lock screen with power button and then press home button it works. Also if I lock the phone straight away after it was unlocked the home button start working for some time until iphone is locked and nobody touched it

2. When I first powered on the phone after touch replacement I got a massage that it's impossible to active Touch ID. If I go to Touch ID settings and toggle on 'Iphone Unlock' it says "Failed Unable to complete Touch ID setup. Please go back and try again."

It was working fine before I shaped touchscreen, I didn't do any SW updates in between.

What could be a root cause of such a weird behavior?

P.S. This is my second touchscreen replacement, first one wend smoothly. Only one difference, second touch had its own dynamic rubber which was glued to the screen, so I used a new one.

I think u have damaged the home button ribbon cable so you have to replace with new home button ribbon cable and only home button will work and touch id will not work.

it is likely you are receiving the touch ID error message because you didnt transfer your original touch ID button over to the new screen, the third part button that came with the screen will only work as a home button without touch ID functionality. To clear this error you need to recover your original button that came with the phone and transplant it onto the new screen.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the answer, although I moved my original button, as the screens for replacement they usually come without any buttons.

did you test the phone before repairing it, was this error already present, in my experience this error message only occurs when the phone cant talk to the original home button, either through replacement or damage. with faulty back plates TouchID will generally initialize but fail to read fingerprints on the add finger screen.

It worked before first replacement and after, but issue appeared straight after second replacement. It's my own phone, I don't do repairs for business, so It's hard not to notice that, since you cannot unlock the phone in a normal way.

It's likely the the Touch ID ribbon had been damaged, these are very delicate. You'd have to examine it closely looking for any damage to the ribbon or the circuitry. It must even be that the connection pins are damaged in either side. If the pins are damaged on the dock rather than the ribbon you can replace the lightning port and that would clear the fault, however if the damage is on the ribbon you'd have to replace the home button and lose Touch ID.

Same problem on my 5s, only that my whole iphone is original. Having this problem for a week or so... when the phone is unlocked everything is fine. Even when i lock it and go back to it in a short period (2mins) the button works (touchid also) but if the phone is idle for some time the home button and touch id dont respond. This is frustrating, because i dont need accesive touch when im in the phone, and i cant unlock my iphone normally

Have you done any repairs? I just wonder if it can be software related ...

Great care must be taken when removing the home button. It is easy to damage the very fragile home button flex cable while removing it. I suspect this is the cause of the symptoms you are experiencing. You can replace the home button but you will lose the Touch ID functionality. You already have so that won't yield in a net loss.

Peter Tompson will be eternally grateful.