Repair guides and support for your Samsung TV.

Remote sensor doesn't work

My remote sensor isn't working properly. It's not the batteries. Both my cable remote and tv remote doesn't turn the tv on, off or control the volume . When I turn it on manually, my cable remote will change channels and control everything but the volume and on/off functions so it has to be the remote sensor on the tv. The cable box responds to the cable remote. I've unplugged the remote sensor and plugged in earplugs , cleaned it with alcohol and nothing.

The sensor normally doesn't discriminate as to what type of signals it receives. It just changes the received code signal from the remote control from IR to an electrical signal for the TV's processor to interpret.

Does your TV's remote control unit also control everything except the ON/OFF and Volume as well when you turn on the TV manually?

What is the model number of your TV and also what is the make and model number of your cable box?

Also not quite sure what you you say "I've unplugged the remote sensor and plugged in earplugs cleaned it with alcohol and nothing". What do you mean by "earplugs" and I assume you mean that you cleaned the sensor with alcohol?

Thanks for your response!

Model# UN32H5203F, Type#UN32H5203

I unplugged the IR sensor and plugged in earphones as I read it would reset itself. I've been having this issue on and off for a year. My cable box is a TiVo Mini. The TV remote doesn't do anything, I really never use it as I use the cable remote fo everything but when this happens I try them both. This first happened last January just when the 1 year warranty ran out.

I have a similar problem I can change Channel ie up and down, last channel and input channel no but nothing else cant turn on cant turn volume up or down

model lg 42lg 50

We are having the same issues. The smart hub button works but the enter button does not. The mute, on/off and channel up/down does not work. We can turn the Samsung TV on from the button but we can't do anything else in terms of volume. What is the solution?

Hi Jo Ann,

To find your problem may be a process of elimination. If you are willing to proceed with this I shall try to guide you through the process.

Although reading the reviews online regarding your TV you are not alone in the problems that you are having with the remote.

The process involves doing things that you may think "why?" but as I said you have to eliminate them from the possibilities.

Doing some of these checks may restore the TV to its factory default condition and you will have to set it up again. Just so that you are aware of this before you start. (if you want to do this of course)

1. Does the TV remote work OK, by pointing it at the TV, with the remote sensor unplugged?

If it does see #3 below

If not:

Given that the power and volume buttons are the 2 most used buttons on a remote then you need to prove that the TV remote is OK.

You can test the remote by using a mobile phone's camera app or a digital camera . Simply point the remote at the phone or camera (which is turned on obviously) and looking at the remote through the LCD viewing screen simply press a button on the remote. You should see a pulsing light at the end of the remote. Do this for the power button and the volume buttons. If you don't see a light try another button which you know works with the TV to prove that it works and that you are doing it right.

If the remote works also do this test for the cable remote's power and volume buttons that you use for the TV control to ensure that they work as well.

2. If the remote buttons are OK, leave the remote sensor unplugged and try a power reset. Switch off the TV, switch off the power outlet and unplug the TV from the outlet. Press and hold the power button on the TV for 30 seconds and then release. Reconnect the power cable to the TV, switch on the power outlet and then switch on the TV. Test if the remote control now works correctly.

If it works plug in the remote sensor (you may have to set it up again) and then see if the remote still works OK.

If it stops working properly again

3. Are there any other electronic devices or even lights which are turned on, (CFL) in the direct "field of view" of the remote sensor's "window" (not the cable box of course)? If so either switch them off or move them and see if it makes a difference.

I can only find the generic user guide for your model but I was wondering if you could go through the menu options of the TV somewhere in the General Settings area to see if there is a mention of the firmware or software version that is installed in the TV. There are software updates available for your TV, unfortunately Samsung doesn't state what they do or what they are for but it doesn't hurt to check if you have the latest software installed.

Apologies for the long reply.

Again, I really appreciate your time. I have in the past and did again check both remotes with the camera from my cell phone. They are both fine. I did as you said with resetting, but again, nothing. The tv remote doesn't do anything at all, cannot access the menu, tools, etc. which shows me that it's the tv sensor . I turn on the tv manually and use my cable remote to change channels but that is all it will do which tells me the remote from the cable box is fine. Nothing is blocking the external sensor and I've positioned it several ways. I have also unplugged the tv for several hours as that was another solution that was recommended but did not work.

And yes, the cable remote works with the remote sensor unplugged.

Hi Jo Ann,

Thank you for that.

Just verifying that the TV remote does not work with the external sensor removed but the cable remote does, and you are pointing the cable remote at the cable box no doubt. Have I got it right?

If so it seems that I have wasted some of your time. You were right. Apologies.

You may wish to try replacing the sensor board in the TV. Here is a link to a replacement (I think)You can double check this by finding the board number printed on the sensor board and seeing if it matches the number of the board in the link. If it doesn't just Google the number on your sensor board and see if there are any results.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-UN32H520...

I just ordered this on eBay, wish me luck, lol.

Original Samsung LED TV IR Blaster Infrared Extender Cable BN96-31644A OEM

I was thinking that the IR sensor in the TV might be faulty as with the external sensor removed you would have to point to the sensor in the TV with the remote control not replace an external one.

Jo Ann will be eternally grateful.