Released on September 19, 2014, this 4.7" screen iPhone is the smaller version of the iPhone 6 Plus. Identifiable by the model numbers A1549, A1586, and A1589.

Home Button Won't Seat Properly Or Click Properly

I am in the middle of a repair right now, and I'm worried about this home button that won't seat properly. I'm using an iPhone 6 iFixit display, and the original home button. The button won't sit in the new display properly, always sticking up at an angle. How can I fix this? I'd appreciate any help as soon as possible.

Update:

Not the button is sitting flush with the display, but it won't click.

Someone else tried, using little force, and made it go in. It just won't click when it's in or out. This isn't good..

did you check for broken glass or other stuff around the home button there might be something small stopping it from pressing down

Let me send a pic. I thin there may be some glass, since the adhesive managed to pull a big piece of glass with it..

How do I check? Also, what could be causing it not to click?

I had to loosen the shield plate screws a significant amount before it would click for me. I have no idea why. My guess is that it was too tight and the button was being held down by the shield. But what do I know?

PC Laptop Batteries

An easy fix for a big power boost.

PC Laptop Batteries

An easy fix for a big power boost.

Most Helpful Answer

try loosening the shield screws just a tiny bit iv had that problem before that worked for me

I've tried that. The button still doesn't click or seat properly...

could the shield be slightly bent?

I updated the question with photos..

I don't see a bend.

because that home button looks perfectly normal

Hey Jake!

We spoke on the phone when you called iFixit customer service, and I just wanted to re-iterate our feedback on here in case it helps other people in the future. We're pretty sure there's a slight manufacturing defect in that particular display assembly causing the home button to not sit properly within the frame. We spoke about options regarding a replacement or return for a refund on the phone--no matter what we want you to be able to complete this repair! Contact us through help.iFixit.com via email or phone if you need anything further from the customer service team.

Thanks! I appreciate your help!

Thanks again for your help! Since we talked on the phone, I have gotten the home button to sit flush with the display. My only problem is that the button will not click. I haven't put the home button shield on yet.. Do you know of any way to fix this? Thanks!

It turns out that I just needed to put the bracket on, and it click. Thanks!

Haha...of course! I'm glad you figured that out. Thanks again for calling us with your concerns, and for choosing us for your repair needs! Happy fixing!

The home button you have looks damaged. The connector should sit directly on the flex cable and should have a small bezel around it. Try it with a different home button and it should work!

Below is a pic of a functioning home button so you can see what I mean.

Thanks. I definitely will keep that in mind for future repairs, but it is working now. The button wasn't perfect, but it worked. I kept the original button to preserve Touch ID functionality.

The button eventually went in and was working pretty well when I pushed it in with some force, then put the bracket back on. The button doesn't feel quite like the original, but it works.

Jake will be eternally grateful.