Gateway makes quality notebooks, laptops, and netbooks. Owned by Acer Group.

Dropped my laptop now won't boot!

I dropped my lap top onto a cement porch and now it won't boot up I think something came loose inside. Is it OK to open it could I see if something is loose? I use to solder circut boards for a living so I could make that repair my self,! Any suggestions on fixing it my self?

We will need some additional info here. Does the laptop simply not boot to an operating system, or does it not show anything on the screen anymore? What model number? Can you remove and replace the battery? Have you tried powering it on while plugging it in vs. just on battery power?

Most Helpful Answer

@gateway , As Michael stated more info, laptop model #, etc. would help. What you could do is google search for a tear down on your device, which would show how to take it apart and then you could look/verify whether components are loose/broken, reseat the ram, check all connections, etc.. Good luck.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

I would think if something is loose? It would be, harddrive,memory(ram),fan,bios battery and such? It wouldnt hurt to take a quick look, but just be careful and dont break it more? Do it, do and learn is what I say, unless its a customer, or your job, haha :)

And i am sorry to hear about your accident! Hope it ends well till the end :)

Leslie McClelland will be eternally grateful.