Battery indicator has an X, and charger light stays green,

My battery indicator at the top of the screen has an X inside it, and the side indicator when I press the button doesn't light up to show how much battery is left. When I plug my charger in the light goes straight to green, I can't tell if its charging or not because of the X in the indicator. I turned my laptop off and on again and its still the same. Also it sounds like the fan over-heater things (i'm so not tech savvy so bare with me lol) are going off loudly, (sounds like a hair dryer just not as loud) yet my laptop isn't hot at all. I've closed all applications and tabs so really, my laptop shouldn't be over-worked as it should't be doing anything.

Hope someone can help!

I should also mention its still on atm, it hasn't ran out of battery or not turning on.

Try an SMC reset, more information on how to do it here:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201295

The key combination is to hold Ctrl + Shift + Option when turning on the MacBook. You only need to press and hold the power button for 5 seconds when doing that.

If that does not fix the problem then you may be looking at possible liquid damage on the board causing this.

thank you so much, that seems to have done the trick!

princesstye will be eternally grateful.