2.0GHz, 2.3GHz, or 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache.

No display LED backlight, how to fix?

For some reason the backlight LED of my display doesn't work anymore.

I was away to get coffee and i come back and my display was black.

When i shine with a flashlight at the screen, i can see everything.

No backlight, but the screen looks OK.

So it's clear to me that the backlight is not working.

I have called Apple Support and did some things, like resetting the NVRAM.

They advised me to go to the nearest Apple repair centre (iCentre).

I have made a call to them, it cost about 750 euro's to repair.

Now is my question. Can i repair this myself, to save some money, by replacing the whole screen? Or is this a fuse problem? Or something else with the Logic Board?

Hi, your retina MacBook does not have an inverter - inverters are for old A1181 MacBooks and MacBook Pros which use CCFL tubes to light up the screen, which require an AC to DC boost inverter to power the CCFL. If you have tried resetting the SMC and PRAM and still have no luck, then the problem is most likely with the logic board. You can check around the display connector for any burned/dirty looking pins/corrosion, and try to clean the area, but you will most likely have to pay for logic board repair. I would suggest going to a reputable repair shop that specializes in component-level motherboard repair with a no-fix, no fee system, as it will save you lots of money. Apple on the other hand will replace the WHOLE motherboard, when it is only a small component on the board that needs to be repaired. The problem could also exist in the display assembly, but this is unlikely. If so, the store will notice this issue and suggest a screen repair instead if this is the case.

So replacing the whole screen, what i had planned, is not a solution.

I go to a repair center and let it fix there.

Thanks for the answer!

Well, there is a chance that the issue is with the screen but it is more likely a motherboard problem. Good luck!

hello Vincent you should try change the inverter here the guide. good luck!

MacBook Pro Retina Display Teardown

Are you sure i have an inverter?

My model is A1398 Late 2013:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ma...

yeah not sure, i found around they suggest to Check the pins on your LCD connector for corrosion or otherwise damaged. You also want to make sure that there is no short circuit within that connector. good luck!

Vincent Verloop will be eternally grateful.