The Samsung Galaxy Tabs are Samsung's flagship tablets that compete with iPads.

Rear casing is magnetized, Is this OK?

Recently purchased the 10.1 inch Galaxy Tab A (SM-T580) for use with music. Placed it naked on my metal music stand (no case for it yet), and tablet stuck to it like glue. Same thing with paperclips etc. I went to Best Buy and sure enough, the same effect happened on their display model. There seems to be magnetic areas around the perimeter of the casing. Contacted Samsung support and they seem oblivious and want me to send to a Samsung service center (heck, I'll just return to store if I wanted to).

Everything seems to be working fine and I like what I bought, but I am concerned that the magnetic issue will be a problem in the future.

If anyone else noticed this about this same model (black)? Should I worry?

Thank for any help.

Vincent

I am wondering the same thing. I can't find any answers.

My tab a also does this. Wondering if it was meant to?

I did exactly the same thing, stuck to my music stand, side of fridge, filing cabinet etc. Called Samsung Support and they said 'Magnetic?'

It seems to work OK and the magnetic case I got for it works exceptionally well, I try not to put my wallet on it or put it near anything else this might be erased just in case.

Lol im so happy this is happening to other people. Lol it's awesome for watching movies, just magnet it to my fridge by my bed. Im just concerned itl have side effects

Most Helpful Answer

@vinfin this is intentional. The back of the case is slightly magnetic - the optional Book Cover attaches that way. Not sure why Samsung support is not aware of this. Magnetism will not negatively impact the function of this tablet.

A case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing

Samsung seems to go downhill quick since last summer. Struck by bad decisions and bad designs.....Lets hope they will recover from this.

The magnetism is by design. It is for the case, and likely an auto turn off to the screen when the case is closed. If you have old tech around, don't put it on audio cassettes, VHS tapes, hard drives, and floppy disks.

I just realized that they did it so you can do selfie pics & watch videos... i.e, attach to the fridge, etc. I saw a commercial sometime back about a phone that does that.

cavender7 will be eternally grateful.